Talk

Advanced search

Flying with a Bugaboo Cameleon

(32 Posts)
mountainofdreams Thu 23-Apr-15 17:59:35

How do you find air travel with the Cameleon?
I'm buying one for my pfb and will be flying fairly regularly.
Is it easy to fold/transport etc?
Also is the ginormous travel bag necessary?
Thanks!

Rainicorn Thu 23-Apr-15 18:01:44

I wouldn't get one for flying as they fold separately and I'd be afraid that one piece would go missing.

If you do want to, definitely get the bag.

I'd rather get a BJCM or similar for flying as it's an easy one hand fold, very light and easy to,push with one hand.

Somethingwitty2015 Thu 23-Apr-15 20:26:37

Agree with Rainicorn - for not much more than the price of the travel bag (over £100 when I was in the same position) you could get an umbrella stroller that's much easier to fold and which you're much more likely to get back at the gate. Depends on airport/airline but when flying with BA recently they told us if the buggy is under 5kg you get it at the gate, if more it goes to the carousel.

Also a stroller would take up much less space in hire car if that's relevant - looking at the amount of stuff we take now when travelling I think longingly of the days when DH and I would have a little wheelie suitcase each and hire the smallest car!

Rockdoctor Thu 23-Apr-15 21:20:16

I you really want/need the Cameleon and don't want to get a separate buggy for flying then I would recommend the travel case. We had one and it was brilliant - very big (obviously), but not too heavy and easy to wheel around. We also used to pack other stuff around the buggy so it doubles as a separate suitcase - but I think it still counts as a buggy on the airlines so you don't pay extra. We sold ours easily on eBay once we'd finished with it.

mountainofdreams Thu 23-Apr-15 23:11:35

Thanks for the advice ladies, looks like I'll be investing in the travel case!
Can't wait to purchase my Bugaboo now! smile

allotherusernamesaretaken Fri 24-Apr-15 02:27:54

We fly a lot with our cameleon. We pack it in its bag and check it in with the bags, then we use a sling around the airport. We are away a lot so I don't like leaving it at home. I think we will invest in a small folding stroller when dd is older but for now we are enjoying having the bugaboo with us

allotherusernamesaretaken Fri 24-Apr-15 02:29:09

And I second the comments about adding extra stuff in there. We usually put the mattress for the travel cot in there and it just counts as a pram even though it it HUGE!

mountainofdreams Fri 24-Apr-15 06:59:42

Also do I have to baggage check the Cameleon or can I bring it to the gate?
The reason for my Q is that I will be travelling a reasonable amount on my own.

Artandco Fri 24-Apr-15 07:08:37

The case is good

However do look at the babyzen yoyo 0+ for flying often. It is from newborn and folds small enough you can take on plane as handluggage and put in overhead locker

Artandco Fri 24-Apr-15 07:09:06

You have to baggage check chameleon as it will be inside case as two pieces

mountainofdreams Fri 24-Apr-15 07:24:57

Artandco - If I didn't use the case would they be able to take it at the gate in two separate pieces and then collect it when off the plane?

Artandco Fri 24-Apr-15 08:32:58

Mountain - no as you could loose one half

PotteringAlong Fri 24-Apr-15 08:38:17

If you're traveling by yourself a lot then find your local sling library, try out what's available and but yourself a really good sling.

Artandco Fri 24-Apr-15 08:57:27

Oh and I have travelled Lots with the chameleon on flights but checked in, and just used sling at airport. Mainly used because I then used the pram for them to sleep in at night in hotels etc with me ( mine was work related travel)

However we brought it over 5 years ago, and now as I mentioned I would probably get the babyzen yoyo 0+ for travelling, but this wasn't invented at the time we needed it.

QueenJuggler Fri 24-Apr-15 09:00:40

Every airline I've flown has insisted on our Bugaboo being checked. If you want something to take to the gate, you need a Mclaren type umbrella stroller. Or a sling.

Buttwing Fri 24-Apr-15 22:07:19

I've flown around 15 times with my chameleon I've always been able to take it to the gate I've just asked for two stickers on it for the two separate parts. I never bothered with the travel bag but it sounds like it might be a good idea.

mountainofdreams Fri 24-Apr-15 23:02:50

Thanks ladies. Looks like I need to research my airlines policy.
I'll most likely be going BA or Aer Lingus.

Mutley77 Sat 25-Apr-15 13:42:07

I don't have a bugaboo but have flown a lot with three dc, and totally recommend getting a different travel pram especially if you're flying alone with baby. You will need something that you can take to gate and collapse quickly/easily, remember you will have to be holding baby while you do it. And the same in reverse for other end, it is rare that pram ever gets delivered to gate so you will have to find the pram, often not on the carousel (sometimes they deliver it to outsize luggage often at the other end of baggage hall) and having to deal with two pieces is an added stress, not to mention fitting it all in a car or taxi with everything else. I can totally recommend the bjcm but sounds like the baby zen is poss even better. Also bear in mind how common it is for prams to get damaged by airlines and the hassle of following that up or claiming on insurance would be best avoided; if it's a cheap second pram it won't be so inconvenient to you if it gets damaged as you'll still have your main pram at home while you deal with the negotiations about replacing it.

Fresh01 Sat 25-Apr-15 15:59:30

We had a Bugaboo Cameleon and used it a lot when flying but always put it in the travel bag. It goes in at oversized baggage check in. You don't get charged for it. We used the sling in the airports.

When you see how prams/buggies are being thrown around by the handlers, you wouldn't want it in 2 parts. We saw one pram fall off the top of a pile of cases on a baggage cart one day. We have had the handle on a Maclaren buggy bent on the various conveyor belts before. It is very hard to claim for damages prams as you need to find the right desk and person before you leave the airport and lodge your complaint. When we arrive in an airport with kids we usually just want out of it ASAP!
We had ours 9 years and loved it.

Kelz3187 Thu 06-Oct-16 22:45:01

I am due to fly in may my daughter will be 4 months and I want take my cameleon with me will I be able to take this up to boarding gate? I do have a travel bag?

Chattycat78 Fri 07-Oct-16 05:22:04

We've flown a lot with babies- and we had a bugaboo chameleon for our first ds (got a double buggy now as have 2 boys under 2!). To be honest I wouldn't dream of flying with something so bulky/heavy/expensive. I wouldn't trust it to come back in good condition either.

We simply bought a cheap pushchair which you can use from
Birth on Amazon- the zeeta vroom one is good, light and folds well. Also not a disaster if it gets bashed around a bit.

HeadDreamer Fri 07-Oct-16 05:39:12

kelz I have never seen anyone taking such a large pushchair to the gate. I think you will have to check it in. I have a maclaren for travel in addition to the chameleon.

LondonSouth28 Fri 07-Oct-16 05:54:47

I have a Bugaboo chameleon and wouldn't take such a big pram on a plane with me - especially if I was travelling on my own. As others have said, I would also worry about it getting damaged in a plane. I love my bugaboo for around home, shops etc but it's big. I have a Babyzen Yoyo for plane travelling - can take it to the gate and on board the plane.

AppleMagic Fri 07-Oct-16 06:03:57

I used to regularly take a p+t double stroller to the gate and then pop it in the bag at the gate. You just need them to put the gate check tag on the bag not the pushchair.

Whether you get it back at the gate or the carousel seems to depend on the airport rather than the airline/pushchair (although if you use the travel bag it's more likely to go back to the carousel as they wont necessarily know it's a pushchair).

Penhacked Fri 07-Oct-16 06:08:56

I air travel at least once a month with two kids, often alone. Don't buy a massive are for the bugaboo. It will be a massive ball ache at each end. If you are going to the same place regularly, buy something that can live there. If you are travelling to lots of different places, buy something lightweight and one piece that lies flat. Just think of luggage plus pram!! And through the Airport you want a sling. There is nothing more stressful than trying to fold down a buggy at the gate. And the number of times you don't get it back after a full flight means that convenience is not there anyway. Also when you are baby free you don't notice how many steps there are in airports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now