Talk

Advanced search

Perfect prep filter change

(22 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Thu 26-Feb-15 13:57:58

My red light has now started flashing at me, the leaflet says to change 'immediately'

Do they mean immediately 'NOW' or immediately 'it can wait until tomorrow as I can't get out because I have an estate agent & landlord coming to take pics of my flat'

yes I'm an idiot for not buying a filter sooner confused

Ilovenannyplum Thu 26-Feb-15 16:36:09

Anyone?!

thatstoast Thu 26-Feb-15 16:39:34

It goes red and then starts flashing so I would say immediately. I'd use a kettle until you can get a new one. Or some ready made if you have it.

BloomingOrBallooning Thu 26-Feb-15 16:40:37

Could you not make the milk up 'old school style' until you can get a new filter tomorrow?

Ilovenannyplum Thu 26-Feb-15 16:43:28

I've got an emergency bottle of premade formula, I'll use that until I can get out tomorrow.
Aarrgghh the kettle way, that fills me dread! The boiling, cooling, warming all with DS shouting at 2am confused

moomin35 Thu 26-Feb-15 18:17:11

Don't worry I made mine last by taking it out and giving it a good clean. I've only just bought a new one 6 months after buying the machine. Just take it out and clean it for now. Babys never been ill

thatstoast Thu 26-Feb-15 18:43:20

Clean the filter? I don't understand how that would make it last longer?

Luxme Tue 03-Mar-15 00:28:05

I've changed mine and the bloody light won't go off!

BloomingOrBallooning Tue 03-Mar-15 15:27:50

Have you pressed the reset button on the side of the machine? You need to press and hold it for ages and the light should go off.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 03-Mar-15 15:32:41

How old is your baby? IF older than, say, 6 months, I would leave it til tomorrow. Babies over 6 months can drink tap water

The biggest risks making up formula milk is from bacteria in the milk. The machine will still give the blast of hot water that is needed to kill these (that's the first shot). The water then "topping up" is essentially just unfiltered tap water if the filter isn't working or is only partially working. That's fine.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 03-Mar-15 15:33:55

Sorry - meant to say, the filter is just the same as any filter on a water filter machine. It is just a "nice to have" and probably makes TT a bit more money that a pre-requisite such as the shot of hot water

TESSYFEWTRELL Wed 16-Nov-16 08:04:20

just wanted to shed some light on the perfect prep filter light. The light comes on automatically after 3 months of the machine being on. This doesn't take into consiteration your usage in those 3 months. The guidelines is based on 9 ounces 6 times a day for 3 months. After which the filter will not be at is optimum. If you use the machine far less than this then just apply the logice and you'll know when to change it yourself as opposed to adhering to these guidelines which are hardwired into the machine

myfirstbaba Wed 16-Nov-16 09:33:34

If you make up the bottle with boiling water 1-2 hours before you know your baby is due then it will cool down perfectly

Heirhelp Wed 16-Nov-16 11:10:43

I always do it later in the day and it has been fine.

estateagentfromhell Fri 18-Nov-16 09:32:49

"If you make up the bottle with boiling water 1-2 hours before you know your baby is due then it will cool down perfectly"

This is a recipe for serious illness...milk is the perfect breeding ground for babies...don't do it! If you really must make in advance, you need to chill them ASAP and then warm slightly Just before you feed.

Changing the filter is pretty low priority though OP, the hot shot is the important part to sterilise the powder, the tap water is pretty safe anyway.

estateagentfromhell Fri 18-Nov-16 09:33:33

Breeding ground for bugs! grin

Nicketynac Fri 18-Nov-16 09:36:22

tessy We only use ours once or twice a day and it didn't come on for about six months. We live in a soft water area though which might have made it last longer.

myfirstbaba Fri 18-Nov-16 10:56:00

I do not mix the milk powder until baby is due. I just meant put the water in a bottle.

Artandco Fri 18-Nov-16 11:00:18

My - but the water won't be over 70 degrees then

5minutestobed Fri 18-Nov-16 11:01:33

That is exactly the wrong way to do it Myfirstbaba. The powder needs to go in when the water is over 70 degrees not when the water is luke warm.

OP make bottles using the kettle then cool them and store in the fridge for overnight. Quick zap in the microwave/warm in some hot water and you are good to go. No need to make up a whole bottle at night!

myfirstbaba Fri 18-Nov-16 11:15:07

Ok

DoublyTroubly Sat 19-Nov-16 07:54:06

It's absolutely fine to leave it a few days before changing. From memory, I believe flashing light is a warning and solid light means change immediately

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now