Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

11 month old resisting sleep

(6 Posts)
Bellerina2 Sun 15-Feb-15 23:10:08

Cross posting here for traffic:

DS is nearly one and has never been a great sleeper. I still have to feed him to sleep for daytime naps but this is getting increasingly difficult as he wriggles around a lot. I end up putting him in his cot and leaving him to cry for a bit to tire him out and then I can usually feed him to sleep. But I don't want to have to do this all the time. He just will not self-settle for me. People have suggested controlled crying and crying it out but that does not work as he doesn't stop screaming. The unlatching in the NCSS doesn't work either as it wakes him up, and pick up put down was the same. He hates his cot and screams every time we put him in it. In the evenings he gets a bottle of formula and DP doea bedtime. This involves DS rolling around on our bed until he falls asleep but as its on the bed we can't leave him.

DS also wakes up for night feeds. Still. I'm going back to work in a month and would really like for him to sleep through. I'd like to night wean him but know he would scream so loud that the neighbours might alert social services!!

Any suggestions or tips? I'm getting desperate here!

Nicole2781 Sun 15-Feb-15 23:41:11

Ballerina from your post it's exactly like my dd right now! She is 11months and I'm loosing the plot. I can completely sympathise as I'm going through this too and have no idea what to do or how to do it sad

I did read the other night about leaving dd in cot and staying in the room very close shushing and reassuring and then as the nights go on you move away a bit more while they settle themselves. The story sounded amazing and easy but I know my dd won't be happy with it.

So I'm watching with interest for any good ideas/methods.

Tonight I'm going to offer her water instead of milk when she wakes up and seeing if she will settle with that.

Does your dc end up sleeping in bed with you?
Mine does just for an easy life but it's still stopping me from sleeping properly and dh is rubbish in the night hmm

hijk Sun 15-Feb-15 23:48:20

A baby cannot really be considered to be resisting sleep: they have absolutly no concept of what sleep is, and don't know it is what you are asking them to do, and don't know if they have done it.

You are saying he doesn't sleep as much as you want him too, and that is just family life.

It might be less stressful for you to adjust your expectations, rather than expect him to adjust to yours. He isn't going to sleep through because you go back to work.

A lot of the worry and anxiety about getting babies to sleep on MN is nothing other than unrealistic expectations by parents.

BertieBotts Sun 15-Feb-15 23:51:37

Mine never slept in the cot for naps either, I used to put him in the pushchair and take him out. Would that work? I used to time it after a group, if you get the timing right, it's like magic.

How are you managing the night feeds now? I would personally go for whatever gets you the most sleep in the short term and not worry about longer term but it's obviously whatever is right for you that you must do.

BuzzardBird Sun 15-Feb-15 23:53:42

My DD completely dropped her daytime naps at 11 months and would also only fall asleep if we were there. We did the creeping out of the room an inch at a time and most nights we didn't see each other as it went on until 11pm for weeks. I am sorry to say this but she is 8yrs old now and still struggles. She just doesn't seem to need a lot of sleep.

You will probably have to adjust your life as we have.

Does he get plenty of fresh air and stimulation and excercise every day?

Littlef00t Mon 16-Feb-15 16:34:15

You say he screams as soon as your put him in the cot. This was my dd for a while at about 6 months. We did playtime for a few mins several times a day for a week or so and it stopped her crying when we put her in it.

I don't think I can offer any advice on the rest of the sleep issues, but hope that might help a little.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: