Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Penicillin for toddler with tonsillitis - side effects?

(7 Posts)
MoragG Sun 15-Feb-15 12:07:52

Posting here, as no responses when I posted in Children's health :-(

DD (2.2) was diagnosed with tonsillitis on Fri pm. She was prescribed penicillin. However, since staring taking this she has now developed diarrhoea :-( I know this is a possible side effect of penicillin. Does anyone know if this is likely to go on through the whole 10 day course? If so, should I try and get a different prescription? Or give it a bit longer to see if the diarrhoea settles down? I feel terrible that the medicine that is supposed to be helping her is now making her ill in a different way. I can't let her have diarrhoea for 10 days, as it is also affecting her eating and she would be utterly miserable. Any advice?

Kundry Sun 15-Feb-15 12:33:52

Diarrhoea is a normal side effect of antibiotics - all of them. Generally the alternatives to penicillin cause even more diarrhoea so not a good idea to switch.

Try getting her to have some natural yoghurt every day to replace the good bacteria in her gut.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 15-Feb-15 12:36:07

We usually give dd actimel kids when she has antibiotics. Seems to help with the upset stomach. It's not very nice but as pp said v common.

MoragG Sun 15-Feb-15 13:25:32

Thanks both. Does this mean that the diarrhoea will continue throughout the 10 day course? This would be a major problem, as she would not be able to go to nursery even if she is otherwise well.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 15-Feb-15 15:03:17

Hard to tell. The probiotics always stop dd from having diarrhoea. It's tricky because obviously you want the best antibiotics but not ones that make them unwell!

MoragG Sun 15-Feb-15 17:17:09

Thanks. Will give the probiotics a go!

saltnpepa Sun 15-Feb-15 19:26:10

Switch, I always have for the kids and no problem, at least ask for a phone call with gp.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: