Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

1st night out: tips

(11 Posts)
squizita Sun 15-Feb-15 11:10:12

Ok please don't think I'm a neglectful mum but ... The time has come for me to go out, at night, and have a beer without mini squizita. I'm starting to feel hermit like- and realise when she's older ill be working so will be tired and poorer! Nothing wild- just a local pub with mates for 2 or 3 beers and maybe a Chinese meal.

She is 4 1/2 months, breastfed. She will take a bottle from my mum or dh who both know bedtime routine well. I can pump lots of milk.

Does this sound appropriate?
If so, have you any tips? I haven't been away from her more than an hour tops (for medical appointments and to pick up the Xmas turkey) since birth! So I'm tired but also kind of daunted.

She is a pretty easy baby. Provided there's a family face and plenty of food. smile

NickyEds Sun 15-Feb-15 11:58:46

Erm... sounds fine?? My sister took my baby over night when he was 4 months. It was great, I got drunk with DP (took all of 3 or 4 drinks after so much time off!) and we had a meal. Maybe put in extra breast pads?? DS was sleeping through at that point so I didn't bother pumping in the night and woke up at 2am covered in milk and again at 6am with big boobs-I think ds not actually being there made me think about him more and leak milk?? Shouldn't be a problem if you're not going over night.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 15-Feb-15 12:03:29

Top tip? Enjoy it and don't feel guilty at all smile

squizita Sun 15-Feb-15 12:08:08

Thanks ladies! grin Deffo breast pads! Can imagine leaking all over my chow mein haha!

Redling Sun 15-Feb-15 14:10:27

Don't say is it 'appropriate', it's your choice!

As she is fine drinking expressed milk and you have a store of it she has food. She has a father who will be looking after her. She's at home and can sleep. Baby is therefore fine. It's up to you to decide what you want to do. Having fun alone as a mum is fine and nothing to be guilty about so you just have to decide yourself when you want to do it. If you did it at 2 months or 2 years it's the same as long as the baby is cared for and safe. but 'appropriate/not appropriate' indicates you think there is some judgement to be made on your decision to do it or not. Or that there is some universal appropriate behaviour for mothers that needs to be followed! Don't do it if you won't enjoy it, and don't feel bad about enjoying it if you do! I've bloody loved my few nights out since DS was born!

Zsazsabinks Sun 15-Feb-15 15:12:21

Absolutely fine! Of course, and enjoy yourself too. :D

Top tip is, if you're going out with your DP, try to go somewhere like theatre followed by dinner, or comedy club or something. I always think it's nice to have another talking point other than children or the house and doing something like that really helps to just completely shift the scenery.

Redling Sun 15-Feb-15 15:48:11

Zsazsabinks that's a good point, first meal out I had with DH we sat for ages showing each other all our photos of DS on our phones, we may as well have been at home staring at him smile

Littlef00t Sun 15-Feb-15 18:08:00

I went out and left DH with dd the first couple of times. Put her to bed and met up with friends about 8pm. Knew she was unlikely to wake before midnight but if she does DH and a bottle was on hand.

DanyStormborn Sun 15-Feb-15 18:49:42

If she's happy with an expressed bottle and you're happy your boobs won't need pumping for the time you are out (I wouldn't have thought they would fill to discomfort in the time it takes for a meal and a few drinks at 4.5 months but agree breast pads very good idea!) then you'll have a great time no need to worry at all.

Jaffakake Sun 15-Feb-15 19:24:28

Go, have fun, take your mobile but don't call!

butterfly86 Sun 15-Feb-15 20:16:28

Try and enjoy the little break squizita I am never away from dd for more than a couple of hours either...we have been out 3 times in total since she was born nearly 8 months ago, the first 2 times I fretted terribly and didn't really enjoy it but we went out last night and it was lovely just to chat and have a few drinks. my parents babysit at ours until we get home I'm not ready for her to be out overnight yet! All we talk about when we do go out is dd mind! Try to not check your phone every 5 minutes grin have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now