Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Can I alternate Infacol and gripe water?

(8 Posts)
SallyMischievo Fri 13-Feb-15 22:59:54

Nine week old DD is really suffering with colicky symptoms, pulling up her legs, arching her back, screaming and crying inconsolably. Is it best to use a combination of Infacol and gripe water, alternating them before each feed, or to stick to one or the other? Hugely grateful for any advice!

LastNightADJSavedMyLife Fri 13-Feb-15 23:03:05

I have always found gripe water much better and I used to put it in DD1's bottle (on DC 3 and no problems doing this with any of them)

They should do the same thing so there is no need to use both I don't think, however you could alternate. You will possibly see better results in one than the other.

Have you tried the Dr Brown bottles? And lying DD across your lap tummy down while rubbing/patting her back?

gamerwidow Fri 13-Feb-15 23:09:01

We found gripe water seemed to work better than infacol but in desperation often used to use both at every feed. I really feel for you it's miserable when you're baby has colic. The only thing that really works is time. Hang in there!

SallyMischievo Fri 13-Feb-15 23:09:45

Many thanks and sorry to be clueless! I'm BF so haven't used the Dr Brown bottles - administering gripe water to a writhing baby on a plastic spoon is proving to be a bit of a saga! Lying her on her tummy across my knees worked yesterday eve but has failed tonight :-( Will persevere with it though...

SallyMischievo Fri 13-Feb-15 23:56:27

Thank you! It's incredibly distressing to see her in so much discomfort :-(

Craicalack Sat 14-Feb-15 00:08:15

I found gripe water the best too. I used to give it to baby through a a syringe which you can sterilise after brewthanks

LastNightADJSavedMyLife Sat 14-Feb-15 00:08:32

Use a syringe, you get them in the calpol bottles. And you're not clueless! Colic is horrible sad

I know it's mentioned often but have you tried cooled boiled water - my GM used it and it can settle a tummy if they need a poo, particularly if she is fussing too much to feed from you properly?

Is she definitely not hungry, are you offering her boob every time she shouts? My 3 were ALWAYS hungry, sometimes they just liked to yell a bit first ;)

LastNightADJSavedMyLife Sat 14-Feb-15 00:09:40

Oooo you could use the pipette from the infacol if you don't have anything else, just rinse it through first. Measure the amount you need first (its around a capful I think ?!?! and suck it up with the pipette.

Jobs a good 'un

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: