Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Help. Toddler refusing meals

(5 Posts)
mrsdicaprio Fri 13-Feb-15 19:05:18

He's never been a fussy eater before ever. But now he's got to the cheeky age he point blank refuses to try meals pointing for bananas or cake or biscuits instead. I've not been giving in and we've had a few nights where he's been to bed without dinner. But how can I get him to realise that he needs to eat his dinner? Any tips will help!

HoggleHoggle Fri 13-Feb-15 19:15:39

I had this recently with ds who was getting his molars through, so he had genuinely lost his appetite rather than being a monkey iyswim.

That being said, I cut out snacks entirely so he was very hungry for mealtimes and started eating without a fuss. Otherwise he would fill up on empty food like rice cakes rather than anything nutritious. If he refused all food - he point blank refused even a mouthful of dinner on a. Few nights - then I began to not offer any alternatives whereas previously I'd got worked up about it and offered him toast etc. To be fair to him he didn't wake up in the night so I'm guessing he just really wasn't that hungry and that taught me I should listen to him more.

Anyway, in a nutshell I would cut out all snacks completely and also not offer alternatives, and see how you get on.

RabbitSaysWoof Sat 14-Feb-15 20:50:18

I second Hoggle little and often is overrated for young dc.

TheFecklessFairy Sat 14-Feb-15 23:20:18

You can't 'get him to realise he needs to eat his dinner', not really. Just put it in front of him, say nothing, leave it a while, take it away, say nothing, offer no alternative. He will eat when he is ready, honestly.

LackingCommonSense Sun 15-Feb-15 10:40:15

Having the same trouble here. I wouldn't mind him grazing throughout the day for an easier life but he's not interested in anything savoury.. no meat, tomatoes, cucumber etc.. only fruit, toast, cheese, yoghurt and baby snacks.

Sort of trying to do the 'you'll eat this and there won't be any alternative' approach but we're struggling with it as I'm not convinced he's old enough (19mo) to understand.

HV said the same as previous posters if that helps at all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: