Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Fantasising about being alone for just one day

(15 Posts)
BentleyBelly Fri 13-Feb-15 12:51:13

Sat here just desperate to not be 'needed' by child, husband, animals, colleagues for just one day. I know its selfish but I wish I could just book a hotel room and hide for 24hrs. I feel constantly guilty and spread too thin. There just isn't enough of me to go round and I face constant whinging, dog and husband included. I need to only think of me, just for a day.

(Just needed to get that out of my head, thank you for indulging me mn)

Chickz Fri 13-Feb-15 13:46:49

Could you take a day off work and do just that? I feel exactly like that quite a lot too, and I really value my work from home days when husband is at work and baby is at nursery. It's amazing to be home alone in a quiet house.

mumofboyo Fri 13-Feb-15 13:51:22

Tbh I don't see anything wrong with that. You say colleagues so I'm assuming you work and that, whilst you're at work, your dc is/are at nursery/school. Why don't you use a day or two of your annual leave and have the time to yourself?

Every now and again, a couple of times per term, I take a sneaky day off work to go for a cup of hot chocolate and a muffin in a coffee shop, on my own, with my phone. I then go home and watch crap tv or take myself off to do my hobby (dh knows and does the same).

There's nothing wrong with needing time to yourself - in fact, imo, I think it makes you a better parent because you feel important, calm, happy etc etc and not just here to serve everyone else.

Littlef00t Sun 15-Feb-15 19:03:42

Oh definitely book a hotel room if you fancy it. Travelodge etc can be quite cheaP or preferable somewhere with a pool and spa facilities! Just one day and you'll have so much more tolerance for everyday living after.

Jaffakake Sun 15-Feb-15 19:26:58

Do it! I've got a friend who booked herself a room & did that overnight. Me, I take myself off for a shop, a La Tasca lunch with wine and read a book. Everyone needs time to recharge.

bluelamp Sun 15-Feb-15 19:34:21

Just do it. You have one child, how old are they? If still young looking after them can be very intense. I'm about to have a few DAYS to myself (admittedly I'm going to be at work but not on Saturday) because DH is taking the DC to see the ILs for half term, it's the first time I've had away from the kids for nearly 4 years and I'm so excited. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with myself, probably go swimming every evening by myself to get rid of the Valentine chocolates I'm currently gorging on.

Esmum07 Sun 15-Feb-15 19:42:34

Can't DH take your DC out one day over the weekend? DH takes DS swimming some Saturday mornings then on to get some lunch and, if I am very lucky, stops off at the park on the way home. I do the same, though it's normally the cinema for me as I am not a happy swimmer! Gives us both a bit of me time. And I book a night away once very six months or so. Go off to London, get a cheapish theatre ticket from the ticket booth in Leicester square, have a walk around Covent Garden window shopping, visited the Tower of London last summer. Lovely with no 'mum, mum, mum' every five minutes and some times I will contact an old friend and have a few glasses of wine and a girly catch up. Makes me feel like me again. DH works away from home a few days each week and he will use that time to catch up with old friends as he is in his home town then so I have my turn now and then!

Book something. The world won't end if you're away for a night (or two if you can manage it). DH and DS have a great time when I am away, it's McDs and Pizza all the way but who cares? They are having a bit of father and son time and that's what matters.

Littlebagoflaughter Sun 15-Feb-15 19:44:14

Surely every mother feels like this at least some of the time? It is exhausting being needed all the time, you're not selfish just human!

esiotrot2015 Sun 15-Feb-15 19:52:12

If the dog is too much for you'd is kindly suggest rehoming ?

When we just had one child dh would take him swimming on a Sunday morning so I got a lie in

Is your dh supportive ? I'm surprised you can't just go off shopping alone on a Saturday ?

Trooperslane Sun 15-Feb-15 19:52:30

Go for it.

You'll be astonished at the amount of perspective and deep, calming breaths you gain.

Big book, bottle of plonk and some shite tv

Ordered by Dr Trooperslane wink

Trooperslane Sun 15-Feb-15 19:54:28

Go for it.

You'll be astonished at the amount of perspective and deep, calming breaths you gain.

Big book, bottle of plonk and some shite tv

Ordered by Dr Trooperslane wink

unlucky83 Sun 15-Feb-15 20:16:30

This was my fantasy for monthsyears ....now Dcs are at school and I work part time from home it is much easier...I never did do it but I think you should - just one night lying in bed, watching crap tv, reading your book - bliss.
I really really need my space - I feel like going to a hotel tonight ...
I haven't had a day - or even more than 1 hr - to myself from before Christmas. Since DCs went back to school in Jan DP has taken 3 weeks holiday and my parent's have been to stay for a week...worse DP had two weeks holiday, then 2 days off and went back to work last Wed, the day DCs started 'half term' - they are back to school tomorrow and DP has just announced his two days off this week are Mon, Tue - I want to murder - I am in an absolutely vile mood about it...
DP does go out - but has a habit of popping in and out - so to the shop, back, look at his boat, back etc. He's never out for more than max 40 mins and I don't know how long he'll be so I can't relax...When he is in he gets under my feet or distracts me whilst I try and work/clean etc (I have a schedule I try and stick to) - then at 3pm, as I pick up from school - he disappears off to the gym for a couple of hours with his friend...
He was supposed to be off Wed, Thur this week - I was really looking forward to just being able to just get on with things tomorrow...I am gutted sadangry...

tinfoilhat Sun 15-Feb-15 20:35:58

I dream about this all the time!
I have 2 DC, 5 and 3, and DH doesn't drive so he's never taken them out properly. (Just once into town but could only cope with a couple of hours...) We have no family that are willing/able to look after them either.
If I want time to myself I have to go out of the house, which doesn't always work for me really. So I too daydream about a night in a hotel somewhere..... sigh!

ilovetosleep Sun 15-Feb-15 20:45:42

It is my number one fantasy to spend 24 hours in a hotel in London on my own. I would have the most amazing time sleeping, popping out to my favourite cafes to eat, watch tv with a bottle of wine and have a full nights sleep. One day...

BentleyBelly Mon 16-Feb-15 15:12:43

Thanks for all the replies, fri was a bad day. Dd is 18 months and we have quite a menagerie of animals including cats, chickens, dog and horses so going away even for one day takes some planning! My sister is currently working away so I have her horse to look after too. Once she is back I am definitely taking a weekend off, have been browsing groupon etc for spa days. We have too many pets, I love them all dearly but the next one that dies will not be replaced, especially as dh is talking about a second baby!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: