Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Positive stories about getting your co sleeper in their own cot?

(10 Posts)
LucyB1 Thu 12-Feb-15 20:37:40

How did u do it?

mrsmacguffin Thu 12-Feb-15 20:53:12

It's an ongoing process but basically just have the cot next to the bed as per co sleeping and be prepared for a string of sleepless nights when you have to keep putting them back in when they wake. I found cuddles in bed until he was asleep were a good strategy and then gently placing him back in his own cot.
Honestly I don't think there's a miracle solution, just persistence and reassurance for baby.

LucyB1 Thu 12-Feb-15 21:19:11

How old is your little one mrsmguffin?

YerTiz Thu 12-Feb-15 21:25:40

We're trying to do this at the mo OP. DS2 is 10mo.

Over last couple of nights I've fed him in a chair rather than led down and have managed to put him in his cot asleep. DH has needed to settle him after 10 min but has been able to do so with soft singing/patting.

He'll only do an hour in his cot though so I've just come up to bed to feed him and will cosleep the rest of the night. (Cot is next to the bed but i can't be bothered to try and move him back.)

I'm hoping he'll gradually do longer in his's hoping!

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Thu 12-Feb-15 21:29:27

2yrs 4months

In bed beside me now.

I'm not the person you wanted to answer this, am I?

mrsmacguffin Thu 12-Feb-15 22:50:08

6 months today

MangosMangosMangos Fri 13-Feb-15 10:32:29

I use a drop side/bedside cot, first they are in the cot with the side down next to the bed. After a few nights the side goes up and gradually over the nights the cot moves away from the bed.

I don't start putting the side of the cot up until at least six months though...

worldgonecrazy Fri 13-Feb-15 10:46:02

We both work full time so cosleeping was sometimes the only "together" time we had as a family, so we were happy to keep doing it. Then when DD was about 3 she started wanting to sleep in her own bed some nights, and this gradually increased until she was happy to sleep in there every night.

The plus side of the long term strategy is that she is happy to take herself to bed at 7.00 p.m. every evening, goes straight to sleep and sleeps through until late at weekends, because that is the behaviour she has learned by our cosleeping in the formative years.

IDidForLucyBeale Fri 13-Feb-15 16:13:08

I couldn't persuade my DS to go into the bedside cot, so went straight to putting him into his own cot at 6 months. I had to do some patting but he settled quickly. It seemed like if he knew that I was there he wasn't satisfied with anything other than me IYSWIM? I'm hoping that the same thing will happen with DD...

squiz81 Fri 13-Feb-15 20:06:12

How old is your baby lucyB1?

We ended up co sleeping until ds was 18 months, then put him in a toddler bed. He was fine about it, although we had to stay with him until he fell asleep and if he woke in the night he would wander into our room and join us in our bed.

At about age 3 we were able to start leaving him after his story to fall asleep on his own and he stays in his bed when he wakes in the night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now