Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What clothes to keep/sell?

(15 Posts)
AndWhat Wed 11-Feb-15 20:32:11

I have been sorting through the mounds of baby clothes from my PFB who I can now see has been very spoilt!!!

I have a few bags of clothes to package up and get on ebay and have been left with a HUGE mount of vests and baby grows which I don't know what to do with.

We are hoping to try for baby number 2 later this year and it would mean I wouldn't have to purchase either of them until that baby reaches 12 months!

However, is this a bit mean having a complete set of hand me downs? or should I get rid of them all and just buy new for a new baby?

What did you all do with yours?

SoonToBeSix Wed 11-Feb-15 20:33:20

No it's not mean I think it's wasteful to buy new other than the odd outfit for fun.

SoonToBeSix Wed 11-Feb-15 20:34:43

I have plastic boxes in the loft with clothes of every size up to 16 labelled for my six soon to be seven dc.

wheresthelight Wed 11-Feb-15 20:34:44

I won't be having any more so passed all my pfb stuff on to my sister. she has bought a few bits for her dd but I would say 90% of her clothes are things my dd grew out of. they are in them for such a short amount of time especially newborn bits that most of it must be virtually brand new

stressbucket1 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:56:22

DD2 is always in hand me downs! I like using DD1's clothes over again it's really nice getting all her old outfits out. Also they grow so fast clothes don't really get worn out when they are under 1.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 11-Feb-15 21:15:10

A baby doesn't care. Use hand me downs.

ch1134 Wed 11-Feb-15 22:42:15

My PFB was dressed in hand-me-downs that had done the rounds of his 5 bigger cousins. I threw out anything really stained/ threadbare and dressed him in the rest + gifts. Saved us a fortune.
Now these same clothes are bagged up in the loft waiting for number 2! I just gave the stuff I liked least to charity and kept the rest. Can't wait to use it again!

weebigmamma Thu 12-Feb-15 10:20:20

I kept every single thing from my first. For ten years! My second is now wearing most of it and I'm so glad I kept it all. It means I don't have to feel guilty about buying the odd nice new outfit because I have so much from the first time.

NickyEds Thu 12-Feb-15 10:33:06

We passed everything from ds onto dNephew and now I'm pregnant again it's all coming back so it will be doubly-handed-down! It makes no sense to buy totally new stuff if there are perfectly good clothes available, especially things like vests and baby grows that you need loads of and gro bags that are a bit more expensive. If I'm having a girl this time I'll buy a couple of things but she'll just be in blue for a bit!! There's going to be enough expense with a bigger house and double buggy as it is!

CheerfulYank Thu 12-Feb-15 10:34:41

Babies won't care. Save it! smile

dashoflime Thu 12-Feb-15 10:43:52

Im in the same boat!
Ive just spent a lovely day sorting all DS's old newborn stuff, washing, ironing and putting it away all lovely and folded. Nesting a go-go.

I have taken a bunch of older baby stuff to the charity shop though, on the basis that we will probably get given things along the way and some is a bit worn- plus new baby is a different gender.
Ive also put some aside for friends with slightly older babies.

Vests and babygros are kind of boring basics. Not the sort of thing I get excited about buying new anyhow. I would keep a reasonable number of the nicer ones in each size, give away or throw out the rest if the quantity is really excessive and then buy one or two cute little outfits with the money saved.

mrsmugoo Thu 12-Feb-15 11:54:25

We're trying for number 2 soon too and I'm keeping everything.

We didn't find out sex with DS1 either so all my stuff up to 0-3 is unisex.

Mutley77 Thu 12-Feb-15 13:11:51

I kept it all and didn't ebay anything. I binned/charity shopped any clothes I didn't really like first time round, or were stained or damaged etc.

My babygros and vests have been used for all 3 DC and as my last is outgrowing everything I'm literally just giving it away to anyone who shows an interest!! All the clothes were kept too and I have given them away as I've finished with them (so I have one DS and as he grows out of things I pass them on to a friend with 2 younger boys). I have 2 DDs (8 years apart!) - I am dressing DD2 in loads of DD1s old clothes at the moment - she is 18 months. I imagine once she gets to 7 or 8 it will diminish as DD2 will have her own tastes and fashion will be different!! But for now it's great and I love remembering DD1 wearing things that DD2 now wears!

FoxHugs Thu 12-Feb-15 21:52:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AndWhat Fri 13-Feb-15 20:50:50

Thank you for all the replies! As a middle child I had this mild panic of a new baby in my DS clothes and the difference in monies spent!

You have all made me give myself a kick up the backside and see it as monies saved instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now