Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

very clingy baby!!!

(6 Posts)
duzzlightyearsmum Wed 11-Feb-15 07:34:11

DD, 5 months, has become unbearably clingy in the past couple of weeks! She will not go to anyone else if she can see me/hear me. She wails/screams/becomes alarmingly distressed very quickly if I'm not holding her. It is becoming a bit wearing to be honest. I love the cuddles but I am struggling to do anything or just have 2 minutes to sit down without her.

Please tell me this phase will pass! DS was never like this (in fact he was very much anti cuddles) so this is completely new territory. I adore DD and she is a very happy and interactive baby as long as with me! But this coupled with her still waking every 2 hours to be fed (ebf) means I'm pretty much out of energy

Pastmyduedate0208 Wed 11-Feb-15 10:38:12

Is it the teething stage?
You may find a soft sling will free your arms up! I have my little guy in a cabboo carrier for most of the day as he don't accept just lying on his back.
I believe it will pass.

On an unrelated matter, waking every 2 hours in the night at that age is rather a lot. Have you looked into gentle sleep training yet?

Clinginess can be related to overtiredness. Waking up a lot in the night can be exhausting for both baby and mum.

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 11-Feb-15 11:16:54

Have you read The Wonder Weeks? It claims babies have developmental leaps at certain ages, and they get really clingy and bad tempered during those leaps. There's one around 5 months, and my DD was a real pain then - I remember having people over for lunch but she just would not be put down for one minute so I could clean up or cook. Then all of a sudden it passed and she was delightful again. It sounds like your DD might be in the same fussy phase. The wonder weeks app is surprisingly accurate at predicting when the fussy phases will end (and begin, alas.)

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 11-Feb-15 11:17:02

Have you read The Wonder Weeks? It claims babies have developmental leaps at certain ages, and they get really clingy and bad tempered during those leaps. There's one around 5 months, and my DD was a real pain then - I remember having people over for lunch but she just would not be put down for one minute so I could clean up or cook. Then all of a sudden it passed and she was delightful again. It sounds like your DD might be in the same fussy phase. The wonder weeks app is surprisingly accurate at predicting when the fussy phases will end (and begin, alas.)

duzzlightyearsmum Wed 11-Feb-15 11:26:18

Thanks for your replies! I am download the wonder weeks app and take a look.

Haven't tried and sleep training yet, is there a method you'd recommend?

Latium123 Wed 11-Feb-15 12:05:02

You could try The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. It is good if you don't want to do controlled crying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: