Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

(6 Posts)
Waffles80 Mon 09-Feb-15 08:20:35

I wonder if anyone can give me any pointers on how to help our 8 month old twins sleep better.

They're going through another phase of really early waking (3.00 last night...3.30 the night before).

They aren't hungry when they wake, will take about two ounces and then just aren't in a very deep sleep. We take one each when they wake ridiculously early and they sleep fitfully in our beds, calling out and crying frequently, waking if we move, waking if we put them down. It's really tricky and we are both shattered.

If they wake after four one of us brings them downstairs and they sleep on my / DH's lap till about 6.30 but wake frequently, but at least one of us gets some sleep (we swap at 6.30ish).

We have had some success previously (when they were six months), with the Ferber method - using graduated intervals. This cured the waking every hour all night phase.

So what next? Should we return to Ferber for 3am wakings? They're warm enough, no noises in house causing stirrings etc.

Would hugely appreciate hearing from anyone with experience of dealing with early wakings. Thanks in advance!

slightlyinsane Mon 09-Feb-15 11:46:27

Sorry can't be of any help just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I too have 8 month old twins that don't do sleep. I'm freaking exhausted. Hopefully someone will have a magic cure

Waffles80 Mon 09-Feb-15 12:42:01

Thanks slightly

They have good and bad (and absolutely terrible) phases. They're not napping very well at the moment either so are frequently cranky!

I go back to work in 10 weeks and I just don't think I'll cope! I'm a teacher - so it's really early starts. DH can start work at ten so is able to "catch up" in the mornings.

Surely something must work!

stirrupleathers Mon 09-Feb-15 12:50:15

Ahhh I feel your pain and angst, my two ( now age 9) didn't sleep through the night until they were 5!!! I tried everything but nothing worked for long as they would get poorly then my routine would go through the window & I would have to start all over again. I'm catching up on all those years of lost sleep!! Good luck..

Waffles80 Mon 09-Feb-15 12:55:11

Five!! My God. I might have to have them adopted...

Waffles80 Mon 09-Feb-15 13:13:20

And, of course, thank you for your response! The fact you can now string a sentence together shows it's at least survivable long-term. Well done! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now