Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Did your baby have a play mat?

(23 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Sun 08-Feb-15 20:16:04

Dd is 5 months and we have hard floors. Is it worth investing in a play mat for her to sit on with her toys or will she be off it quicker than I can blink?

Would I be better spending money on a nice rug we'll get to enjoy too? Or is there something else that has a longer life baby-wise?

ch1134 Sun 08-Feb-15 20:20:57

We had a playmat which got lots of use ages 2-6 months. Then he started crawling/ pulling to standing and fell on our hard floors a lot! We patchedworked lots of rugs on our floors and used the foam alphabet squares too. Then we carpeted! Now he is walking and falling again, I'm so glad we've got carpet!

Hobby2014 Sun 08-Feb-15 20:25:20

We have a really lovely soft rug & a playmat.
If he's having a sicky/throwy up kind of day he goes on mat. An ok day he goes on rug. Play mat goes in washing machine.
He's almost 6 months and doesn't seem to stay on the rug or may for long though as he's rolling/trying to crawl/just moving somehow off of them.

NormHonal Sun 08-Feb-15 20:26:07

Don't get a nice rug. My nice rug got ruined during potty training [voice of bitter experience emoticon].

Have a look on GLTC. They certainly used to make big picnic rug things that could double as a playmat, or failing that just buy a big picnic rug and roll that out make sure it's washable. You'll get lots of use out of it in the summer.

But you're right, I think at 5mo a playmat will quickly become obsolete, once she is on the move. If you're going to buy a playpen, they usually have a cushion that sits inside anyway.

And as for rugs...stick to Ikea until after the potty training is done. Preferably a nice dark brown colour grin.

jaggythistle Sun 08-Feb-15 20:36:49

I had a plastic backed cotton thing with a nice pattern for sticky babies rolling about on. I still use it under the kids wee table for playdoh containment. smile

I had a cheap padded activity may thing from Argos for DS2, it didn't get used that much once he was moving around. Looked nice and comfy though.

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Sun 08-Feb-15 20:38:58

My playmat was worth it's weight in gold - both my DC loved lying on it and kicking their legs.

ApplesTheHare Sun 08-Feb-15 20:40:40

Thanks Norm something that doubles as a picnic blanket is a brilliant idea because I LOVE picnics but usually sit on the grass. Now dd is here I should probably get something anyway. Am I being dim though - what's GLTC?

BertieBotts Sun 08-Feb-15 20:41:05

Not by five months. Big blanket type things, yes.

Ineedacleaningfairy Sun 08-Feb-15 20:42:45

We just put the babies on a spare duvet with some toys,

Littlef00t Mon 09-Feb-15 09:39:24

By 5 months it was all throws and duvets as dd was starting to sit unaided. I think the playmat was amazing for first 4 months but after that it's just too small.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 09-Feb-15 09:44:13

Id go for a thick rug. I spend so much time on the floor with dcs that Id have broken knees without my rug. Just dont what I did and get a shag pile one.Cosy but a PITA for mess.

Oh and you might find with hard floors dc will "crawl" on hands abd feet rather than knees - mine did as the floor was just too hard under their knees. Was hilarious to watch!

aphrodites Mon 09-Feb-15 09:46:03

We used a big quilted play mat for quite some time, it doubled up as a picnic rug for lo so we used it for around 2 years.

Twistedheartache Mon 09-Feb-15 09:53:21

We had playmates & arches when they were tiny & then something like this
www.softfloorkids.co.uk/alphamat30.shtml
Once dd1 was older & more mobile. (Dd2 still on original mats)
Not the most attractive thing to have in your lounge for 6 months but worked for us with very hard floors albeit carpeted

NickyEds Mon 09-Feb-15 09:55:50

Don't buy a nice rug! I'm not sure I'm going to get anything nice until ds (13 months) moves out! We also used a picnic blanket as it was plastic backed, easy to fold away and it was cheap (I think I paid about £5 from poundstretcher).

squizita Mon 09-Feb-15 17:09:52

We have 3 (gifts, we're not obsessed or anything). smile Ours have textures which dd loves to feel and they pop in tge washing machine.

NormHonal Mon 09-Feb-15 17:11:20

Sorry OP, GLTC.co.uk - although I had a quick look on their website and they don't have picnic rugs for sale at the moment.

ApplesTheHare Tue 10-Feb-15 09:43:40

Oh thanks Norm

Ineedacleaningfairy like the idea of spare duvet, that might just do it!

angelopal Tue 10-Feb-15 10:31:48

We bought the interlocking foam mats. They are good as you can put as many or as little down as you want and they are easy to pack away.

For ages she loved pulling the end ones up and having a good chew. Who needs toys!

NickyEds Tue 10-Feb-15 10:33:30

We had some of those foam mat too and they were good. Ds was quite sicky and they were wipe clean and they also cushioned against bumped heads when he crawled.

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 10-Feb-15 10:37:15

We have hard wood floors as well. I intend to get a nice but cheap rug. Think I'll end up with a play mat as well though grin

squizita Tue 10-Feb-15 10:49:42

ikea have a lovely one with woodland animals ... cheap and washable.

DinosaursStillExist Tue 10-Feb-15 11:10:34

DS is 6 months and sitting wonderfully and though he has rolled he really couldn't give a stuff about doing it most of the time. I find the playmat is brilliant for him as we have oak flooring and if he decided to throw himself back from the sitting position that would really hurt. Not looking forward to him tripping over as he grows!

glasgowlass Tue 10-Feb-15 12:13:11

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/taf-toys-i-love-big-mat/p231431788#page_loaded
Both of mine had this one. Lasted them both ages and passed them on to relatives. Great value for money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: