Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

No naps

(5 Posts)
Ivorygirl1990 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:09:39

I'm really struggling with my 6 week old. He won't nap during the day unless we are outside in his carrier! He will doze on the breast for a few mins at a time and occasionally have 10 to 20 mins in his bouncer in the morning. I'm having to go out up to four times a day to get him to sleep and it's bloody cold! I've tried coming home when he's asleep but he wakes up almost instantly. I'm worried this is going to become a permanent habbit! His sleep at night really varies which I'm fine with he's tiny but I'm just worried he's not getting enough sleep aren't baby's meant to sleep 16 hours plus every 24 hours!??! Please help.

Zsazsabinks Fri 06-Feb-15 16:13:49

6 weeks is a bit of a tricky spot I think, they're just becoming aware of everything around them and growing a lot....

Not sure what to suggest, sorry, just that it will probably sort itself out and in the mean time carriers are great!

ROARmeow Fri 06-Feb-15 19:42:02

Don't dement yourself with what babies 'should' do. You can make all the steps you want to make him comfy but you can't force him to sleep.

6 weeks is classic growth spurt time so he'll need to feed loads and his sleep might be erratic as he's learning new skills like holding his head, smiling etc.

Keep feeding lots, ignore people who say he needs formula to get sleepy.

My DC2 rarely slept longer than an hour at a time at night for her first year and at 2.5 years now she still doesn't sleep all night and gave up her nap at 15 months.

DC1 was a model baby, did everything the textbook said. Both my kids, both bf for 12 months and it's just their individual needs and characters that determine how much sleep they need.

You're doing great brew

Caronaim Sat 07-Feb-15 21:10:07

Don't worry, he will be fine. My Dc never napped. I think the idea that babies "need" a certain amount of sleep is very very general, maybe some do, but many don't.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 07-Feb-15 21:18:01

Can you leave him outside sleeping? Not at night obviously, but for naps?

Mine both used to sleep outside in the pram, well wrapped up, in view from the patio doors, for hours on end. Did the same at the childminders - some days I picked him up and there would be a layer of snow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now