Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How do I put ointment in my 15mo DD's eye?

(13 Posts)
42andcounting Thu 05-Feb-15 21:18:10

She's got conjunctivitis, and unsurprisingly is not happy about me trying to put ointment in. Today I resorted to pinning her down, managed to get it half in, then she rubbed her eyes and actually rubbed it in. I don't imagine she'll do that every time, so has anyone got any tips?

BernardsBum Thu 05-Feb-15 21:23:59

Dr told me to put the drops in when DD fell asleep. Just in the corner of each eye. It did work, there was certainly no chance of getting any in when she was awake!

mistlethrush Thu 05-Feb-15 21:25:29

Based on getting ear drops into a 3 yo, 2 people and simply get it done as quickly as possible

TheBakeryQueen Thu 05-Feb-15 21:32:38

Doctor told me just to smear it along the lash line & not worry about distressing them actually trying to get it into an open eye. It worked fine.

Ruperta Thu 05-Feb-15 21:39:46

Don't bother, wash with cooled boiled water.

42andcounting Thu 05-Feb-15 22:02:41

The only thing is they've given her ointment, not drops, which I'm sure would have been easier. I don't have a spare adult to help until DH is home tomorrow night (works away mon-fri). Have already tried the washing with cbw but it didn't work which is why we went to the docs. Will try what you said BakeryQueen, many thanks. smile

MilesHuntsWig Thu 05-Feb-15 22:10:24

DD got it loads at that age. We did what bakeryqueen said and smeared it along the lash line and in the corner of her eyes, it worked. Do the cleaning with cooled, boiled water as well intermittently and it will clean up in no time. Tbh using this technique makes ointment easier than drops in our experience.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 05-Feb-15 22:13:56

Evidence shows that ointment/drops reduce the length of infection by half a day. Don't sweat it. Get in what you can. Wipe with cooled boiled water.

dreamingaboutcheese Thu 05-Feb-15 22:15:29

the ointment is so tricky. it says you have to get it under the eyelid but it's impossible! we ended up putting it on the end of a little finger and smearing
it in the corner of her eye. we also bathed it with boiled salted water and that helped too. good luck!

Showy Thu 05-Feb-15 22:15:59

How long has she had the conjunctivitis? It is self limiting and should clear within a fortnight. It rarely needs antibiotics.

Marmot75 Thu 05-Feb-15 22:20:39

I found ointment impossible when my son was that age. Quite honestly it was nearly impossible to out it in my OWN eye when I had conjunctivitis. Is there any way you can get eye drops instead? It's still difficult but not quite so impossible.

TheBakeryQueen Mon 09-Feb-15 06:55:18

Hope your dd is better now 42andcounting.

42andcounting Mon 09-Feb-15 16:53:49

Thanks BakeryQueen smile. Weirdly, she is! Well... The eyes cleared up in about 24 hours of using the cream (yay), but now she has a throat infection and is on antibiotics. Is it just me, or is everyone's baby constantly ill with something or other? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now