Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Help DD refusing to poo, and now won't wee

(21 Posts)
Vintage1980 Thu 05-Feb-15 13:21:49

Please help and advice gratefully received.
DD 2.6 potty trained v.easily about 3 weeks ago for wees. No fuss, in pants all day but would only poo in a nappy before bedtime.
For the last week she has been withholding poo and now is refusing to wee, whether in pants/ on potty / in nappy. She now hasn't been for 6 hours despite drinking lots.
Any tips for making her go? If I sit her on the potty she just cries as her bottom hurts from not wanting to poo.

gussiegrips Thu 05-Feb-15 13:24:15

She's not peed for 6 hours?

GP.

If you can't see your GP now - then, A+E.

Not joking. I can't see how a toddler can withhold for that length of time. Go and get her looked at.

gussiegrips Thu 05-Feb-15 13:29:41

Is she drinking ok?

I mean, could she just be dehydrated? When she pees is it clear, or yellow and smelly?

Toddlers should pee every 2ish hours - but, maybe she's constipated?

Vintage1980 Thu 05-Feb-15 13:32:02

Thanks but she's really not ill and doesn't need a doctor. For a long time she's gone hours between wees and is often dry overnight.
Not dehydrated she's had plenty to drink.
I was just hoping someone might have a tip on how to coax her to go.

WrappedInABlankie Thu 05-Feb-15 13:34:29

A&E? hmm

Try not to worry OP. If she's drinking she should be fine. I wouldn't be taking her to the GP or A&E!

Every Monday my DS has pre-school and won't pee from 9am till 6pm. The reason he doesn't like the childminders toilet, we've tried potties, rings, his potty everything. He'll go as soon as he gets home and he hasn't spontaneously combusted!

She may have a virus, DS didn't pee & poop for two days after only going for one pee each day two days prior. the gp said he had a virus, keep giving fluids and his body would absorb it/sweat it out if he really wasn't going.

He rubbed his stomach quite firm and in circles for a minute or so just incase he had a blockage and as soon as we got home he went for a wee and a poo so I'd try that total waste of a GP trip imo and he hasn't done it since. He said they don't usually get worried till it's been a week of neither and then they'd give laxatives

TravellingToad Thu 05-Feb-15 13:41:57

A&E?? For Christs sake. My 2.8yr old goes from 10pm at night to 7am without a wee. It hasn't occured to me to take him to a doctor!

gussiegrips Thu 05-Feb-15 13:42:14

urinary retention

I'd be very wary of this - otherwise well, but, crying, drinking, not peeing?

Vintage1980 Thu 05-Feb-15 13:51:27

Thanks Gussie I can see your concern but I'm very confident she's not in retention.
To the others don't worry we won't be heading to A&E.
I've tried running water and blowing bubbles as well as rubbing her tummy.

NorwaySpruce Thu 05-Feb-15 13:59:50

We're going through something similar, but my child is older.

Don't worry, wees will out, even if all over your carpet/in the bed grin

We've tried bribery, bubbles, Mr Poo going to sodding Poo Land... nothing doing. The child is stubborn.

You might want to try lactulose for the poo issue, just to avoid constipation becoming too serious.

Otherwise, it's just a waiting game. Maybe play up the 'big girls/princesses/Peppa uses a potty/toilet thing? Or even try the loo instead of using the potty?

How about putting her in a warm bath? That would make her more comfortable, and she might just wee without thinking about it.

Vintage1980 Thu 05-Feb-15 14:05:52

Thanks Norway glad it's not just us!
Bath is a good plan will give it a whirl.

Honsandrevels Thu 05-Feb-15 14:11:48

At the v start of potty training my dd did this. She refused to put a nappy on and said she only liked pre-school potties. She held it from 5pm till 10am when she went back the next day. The next day pre-school gave me one their potties to bring home and she till refused so I put her in the bath. She had a wee while playing.

We got there with wees quite quickly after that but poos were a v slow process involving giving her a nappy to poo in and then a nappy with holes cut out ( I read about on here). We did poo goes to pooland etc, which did help a bit as it talks about how we know we need a poo etc.

She is almost 4 and has been pooing happily on the toilet for 6 months so we got there in the end.

Honsandrevels Thu 05-Feb-15 14:13:01

Sorry that was a bit of an essay - short answer BATH!

seaoflove Thu 05-Feb-15 14:15:10

Six hours isn't that long.

When trying (and failing) to potty train my three year old, she could withhold urine for six or seven hours easily.

She will stop being able to hold it in eventually. I know how worrying it is though.

Vintage1980 Thu 05-Feb-15 14:16:01

Result!
Got sidetracked on the way for a bath and bribery with putting on her party dress and all her beads actually worked!
Love the idea about cutting a hole in the nappy will give that a go thanks.
Cheers for all the advice

seaoflove Thu 05-Feb-15 14:16:38

She still isn't potty trained at 3.4 btw. I gave up hmm

Honsandrevels Thu 05-Feb-15 14:25:39

The hole in the happy thing is so they slowly get used to the idea of their poo going into the toilet or potty. You start off with a small hole and increase it bit by bit until eventually you have a mere shell of a nappy almost thong like. DD kept asking for the nappy even when it was cut to shreds for ages then eventually forgot one day.

Dd2 was so reluctant. It was so stressful, sticker charts did nothing, choc buttons etc no way.

To crack the wees I bought some hair clips, little toy, sparkling shoes and put them in a bag. For every wee on the potty she could have a lucky dip from the bag. The bag was empty in a day and she was fine with wees from then on. I think it was a mixture of the immediacy and mystery of the reward that caught her imagination!

Badgerwife Thu 05-Feb-15 14:33:39

I second trying lactulose for poos, it's harmless and works a treat. My DD would only poo in her nappy/knickers and not regularly at all, then I realised she had chronic constipation after she'd been scared off by a painful poo. She only just got fully poo trained a couple of weeks ago at 3.5 after months of on/off.

I don't know what to suggest for wees. It's only been three weeks since she's been trained so I wouldn't overly worry. It's just a small step backwards, and she'll get it in the end! Try not to make, maybe get a fun story book from the library, a pretty potty (my DDs Peppa Pig potty was the trigger for her initial willingness to potty train) to get her thinking about it without pressure?

Vintage1980 Thu 05-Feb-15 14:48:31

Thanks just hoping she gets back in the swing of things with her wees - fingers crossed this is just a blip.
I'll get her on some lactulose as soon as I can sounds like it has helped others a lot.

SandyChick Fri 06-Feb-15 17:51:18

Vintage -sounds exactly like my ds. He was potty trained during summer school hols. He was 2.4yrs. Weeing and dry at night within maybe a month. He did a few poops on potty at first but he had an accident in his pants and it freaked him out. The longest he withheld a poop was 5 days. He was in pain & crying but just wouldn't let it go until he couldn't hold it anymore. I spoke to gp & HV. Gp give laxatives which I used when it had been a few days but they weren't helping him learn to go himself. HV gave me the Pooland leaflet!

I tried bribery, stickers etc but in the end just letting him get on with it himself worked the best. If he had an accident we just got on with it and didn't make a fuss. Lots of praise for when he managed to even let it go even if it wasn't in toilet/potty. He's totally fine now (3 in April)I just wait until he tells me he needs to go.

Vintage1980 Fri 06-Feb-15 21:05:49

Thanks I think you're right she got the hang of wees in the potty by herself so fingers crossed will sort out the poo too in time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: