Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Can I take him to nursery?

(11 Posts)
CarrotPuff Wed 04-Feb-15 16:59:16

DS has had fever since Sunday. Took him to GP today and the got antibiotics as apparently he has ear infection brewing, as the GP put it.

He goes to nursery on Thursdays. I don't know what to do. The last few days have been so draining I want to cry at the thought of him staying home tomorrow. But then if he's ill I don't want to drag him all the way up there and then back if he gets high fever again... I'm torn.

WWYD?

mumofboyo Wed 04-Feb-15 17:10:24

Personally I wouldn't make a decision until morning when the antib's have had a chance to kick in and see how he is then. If he's bit right in the morning, keep him off but if he's full of beans then take him in.
Not the most helpful answer lol

mumofboyo Wed 04-Feb-15 17:10:48

If he's not right in the morning...

PrincessOfChina Wed 04-Feb-15 17:12:12

Ours asks that they've had 24 hours of antibiotics before you take them in.

Andcake Wed 04-Feb-15 17:14:16

Our nursery won't have ds if his temperature is over 37 (and send him home if it is over) also even if a bit ill he actually gets upset for us - which he doesn't at other times. Just like when you are ill and want to be at home.
See how it goes take the temperature in the morning.

CarrotPuff Wed 04-Feb-15 19:22:35

Thank you for your input guys.

I think our nursery has the same 24h policy, but I guess it's because they want to make sure the child hasn't had any reaction to antibs. He has had those before though and he was fine.

I vaguely remember that this happened last time too, and we did send him to nursery the next day and he was fine.

I guess I'll just see how he is in the morning and take it from there.

slightlyconfused85 Wed 04-Feb-15 20:49:05

I wouldn't, but that's only because in my experience with DD if she goes back to Childcare before she's mostly better, she takes longer to recover and the whole thing gets dragged out longer. Also, as they are a bit under par they can be a bit more prone to catching other bugs and can just end up with something else immediately. It's tough having them home poorly but stick on the tv for him and cross your fingers for extra naps!

Mrscog Thu 05-Feb-15 21:52:19

Can't believe you managed to get abx so quickly! Our surgery make you wait 3-4 days to check it's nit viral!

As for nursery I'd just see how he seems in the morning - if he seems ok, dose up with calpol and ibuprofen and enjoy a few hours to yourself. If not the prob best to have a day off.

CarrotPuff Thu 05-Feb-15 22:21:58

He did have fever for 4 days. That's why I took him to GP.

He did go to nursery today and he was fine. His temp was just slightly raised in the morning, so I gave him Calpol.

By the way, anyone else been advised by GP to give Calpol AND ibuprofen? Seems a bit overkill! (I didn't btw, I think he was fine with just Calpol)

Mrscog Thu 05-Feb-15 22:36:09

No sorry I wasn't saying you went too soon, smile just that it was kind of them to believe you and not make you wait longer.

I do give both together when they're really grotty as it seems to give a real respite from the symptoms. I tend to save dosing like that for the worst points of an illness though.

dancingwitch Thu 05-Feb-15 22:43:35

I alternate paracetamol (calpol) and ibuprofen for the DC as I do for myself. It is easier to stay on top of pain that it is to let it get hold of you again & then have to fight it off. However, as our nursery gives Calpol but not nurofen, I always give The DC a dose of nurofen before they go to nursery as then nursery can give them some calpol during the day and that will usually get them through the day (in fortunate position of having other alternative arrangements so the DC won't be really ill if I'm still sending them to nursery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: