Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

8 week old DD exhausted!

(6 Posts)
SallyMischievo Wed 04-Feb-15 16:24:47

Apologies if I seem like a neurotic first-time Mum but I am concerned about 8 week old DD. Today is the second day in a row that she has been sleeping around the clock, including seven hours in one stretch from 11.30pm last night until 6.30am this morning, missing out her night feed. She has had a horrible snotty cold and cough and has been very snuffly which has been quite distressing as she was really struggling to breathe, (we used saline drops and Snufflebabe vapour oil and she slept mainly on our chests so she was upright which helped). She seems much better now in terms of the cold clearing up but absolutely shattered and has awoken mostly just to feed and then nod off again throughout yesterday and today. Should I be anxious or could recovering from a cold leave such a small baby so worn out? Many thanks!

butterbeerfloat Wed 04-Feb-15 16:43:26

Hiya, also a first time mum with an 8 week old so no solid advice unfortunately but I think a 7 hour stretch sounds alright for an 8 week old if she's feeding regularly during the day and producing lots of wet nappies - are you BF?
She may be having a growth spurt or just resting up after her cold? I don't think it's a cause for concern but as I said I'm not very experienced so maybe call 111 if you don't feel right about it smile

CoolCat2014 Wed 04-Feb-15 20:47:16

Is she alert and responsive and happy and herself when she's awake (even if a bit miserable from the cold) if so I wouldn't worry too much unless she gets a temperature.

DD is EBF and started sleeping through at 8 weeks (from midnight to 7am) - enjoy it!

berrypicking Wed 04-Feb-15 21:32:35

I wouldn't be too worried about the sleeping lots at night part, my ds slept through the night 7pm-7am at 9 weeks old. If she is sleeping better at night then you should be so happy smile

Katekoom Wed 04-Feb-15 22:41:33

It sounds like recovery from the cold to me, but if shes at all not herself/has a temperature etc. Id get her checked out. Can you call your HV for reassurance?

SallyMischievo Thu 05-Feb-15 18:40:35

Many thanks for the advice yesterday. She's been quite different today, very awake and alert with only one sleep for two and a half hours early this afternoon. I'm now worried that she's going to end up overtired - although if she sleeps through the night again it would be amazing! Thank you again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: