Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How can he hate the pushchair this much??

(19 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 03-Feb-15 15:50:27

DS2 is 12 weeks and since about 3 weeks has HATED the pushchair - we have a bugaboo bee 2.

And I mean HATES - screams and screams and screams. Red in the face, pumping his arms and legs, going into that silent/quivering screech babies do. Sometimes he'll eventually drop off asleep, worn out, but mostly he'll just cry and cry till I get him out. It's very stressful and distressing for us both.

I stopped using it for a while and tried again today but it's was just as bad. Sounded like he was having his nails pulled out. He was sick when I picked him up he was so worked up.

He's happy in other flat positions - loves his play mat and sleeps happily in a crib.

Am happy to continue using the sling but would be nice to be able to go out with the buggy sometimes, makes it easier to deal with DS1 sometimes when I don't have a 15lb weight strapped to my front...!

May try again when he can sit up...?

Anyone else had the same? Is there light at the end of the tunnel...?

Oh he's similar in car seat but will fall asleep fairly quickly once he's screamed his lungs out

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 03-Feb-15 16:06:44

Both the car seat and the pram have straps where the other places don't, so I would suspect that maybe there is something about the straps that is bothering him.

I'm sure you can get covers for straps to make them comfier, could give that a try?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 03-Feb-15 16:09:45

I did think re straps certainly on carseat. Or maybe he's too hot - snowsuit and footmuff too much in buggy..??

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 03-Feb-15 16:11:22

Could be too hot - how did he feel when you took him out?

Diryan Tue 03-Feb-15 19:18:35

Both mine were like this! I just stuck to a sling until they were old enough to be a bit more interested in looking around, think around 4-5 months. My DS is now 10 months old and if he's upset a ride in the pushchair is one of the only things which cheers him up. Hang on in there!

butterfly86 Tue 03-Feb-15 19:21:15

My dd was exactly the same hated the carseat and the pram there was nothing wrong she just didn't like it, I put a few folded muslins under the pram mattress to raise her head a bit and that helped she did get better eventually though and is fine now she's 7 and half months but has been fine for quite a while now

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Tue 03-Feb-15 23:30:17

I stopped using the carrycot part of the pushchair early, at 4 months, because I couldn't deal with the screaming! Once in the seat, and able to look around, DD was a happy baby again. She didn't like not being able to see out, too nosy for her own good! Guessing it's a similar problem causing her hatred of the car seat.

Itsallthelittlethings Wed 04-Feb-15 01:26:13

My ds was like this. Screamed his head off in the pram and car seat. I hated taking him out unless I could walk with him in the sling. It was silent reflux, even though he was fine in his crib. Course of zantac and our lives changed unbelievably.

PterodactylTeaParty Wed 04-Feb-15 08:37:47

Mine was like that. She just haaaaated it, no matter what we tried, so I ended up taking her everywhere in the sling. She was a lot better when we put her in the forward-facing buggy bit rather than the carrycot (at about 5 months), so there is light at the end of the tunnel - she will still yell sometimes but it's no longer every single second she's in there.

Still loathes the car seat at 10 months, though, so no suggestions there I'm afraid.

Ihavealwaysbeenastorm Wed 04-Feb-15 08:40:20

I agree put him in the stroller seat instead of the carrycot and yes I'd say a snowsuit and footmuff is too warm, if I'm using my footmuff I only put a light coat and hat on ds as the footmuff is like a sleeping bag!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 04-Feb-15 08:40:53

Have you tried turning the seat outward facing?

scratchandsniff Wed 04-Feb-15 08:46:33

If you've got the hood up too it could be that he feels a bit claustrophobic and can't see out much. At that age I'd put him in the pushchair bit and have him slightly elevated. Also I think they get much hotter than we realise. DS would quite often feel sweaty after I took his snowsuit off so I gave up on it and got a fleecy hooded cardigan instead with socks over babygro and blankets.

slightlyconfused85 Fri 06-Feb-15 18:30:21

Mine was like this until I put her in a normal pushchair. Even then I could only get ten minutes before a meltdown! Tbh I had to use a sling most of time until she was a good walker, or just give her snacks to keep her in the pushchair for a bit. I had to ditch it at 21 months and now at. 2.3 I just have to accept she will walk everywhere and to plan an extra hour into my journey!

weebigmamma Sat 07-Feb-15 09:17:46

My first hated the pushchair until she was a lot bigger and then she loved it. But I remember the nurse saying 'try to get for a walk in the fresh air' and nobody understanding that it was always a total nightmare because she just screamed from start to finish! She did like it when she was bigger but I used to be so envious of all the other mums whose kids would even fall asleep in their pushchair lol!

weebigmamma Sat 07-Feb-15 09:18:54

Oh and my second is 10 months and doesn't mind the pushcahir too much but HATES the car seat!

Umbrelladilemma Sat 07-Feb-15 09:23:26

I think with snowsuit and a footmuff she maybe too hot/claustrophobic? With mine in a bugaboo bee I put them in a thick sleep suit plus cardi, then added an extra blanket under the footmuff to keep it cosy.

NakedFamilyFightClub Sat 07-Feb-15 09:28:21

My DS would get screamy quite quickly when he was parent facing, he was a lot happier facing outwards and could see more.

Is it totally flat or raised at a slight angle? I think I usually had DS raised slightly once he was out of the carrycot unless he was asleep and that helped.

shinjuku09 Sat 07-Feb-15 12:53:18

Definitely worth experimenting with different things - fewer/more clothes, pushchair seat but you may just have a pushchair hater. DD did get better but still generally hates being in hers at 19 months so I only use it when I have to.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 08-Feb-15 19:54:31

DD hated the car seat until we had a 10hr journey home (major accident on M25 and had to drive through central London!!). We had to leave her screaming because we wouldn't have got home otherwise (we did stop every 2hrs or so) and it did cure the car seat issue. The car seat also clipped on the buggy frame and she wasn't keen on that either.

I used to feed her to sleep in a grobag and then pop her in the car seat at home, just to get her used to it a bit.

DD was loads better when she graduated to the buggy seat and when she went up to the next stage car seat and could look around a bit more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: