Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Getting rid of the dummy

(6 Posts)
slushie Mon 02-Feb-15 17:20:34

Dd2 is 19mo. She has her dummy at nap/bed times and if she's tired or unwell.
I don't want her to have it much longer.
What's the best age and way to get rid of it? Dd1 was a thumb sucker so this is all new.

Choccywoccydodah Mon 02-Feb-15 21:05:51

Ds was 17 months, he had his from about 5 days old.
He literally wanted his dummy EVERYWHERE! I only wanted him to have it at nap and bed time but I gave in. Then one lunch time nap he fell asleep without it as he was that tired (I'd literally bought him some new ones the day before). I tried him that night without it and he whinged for about 5 mins and went through the night (he was a fab sleeper and rarely woke overnight). Then the next day he didn't ask for it at all. I think we were quite lucky! But might be worth a go cold turkey?

TheFecklessFairy Tue 03-Feb-15 16:52:05

I don't want her to have it much longer.

What about HER wants/needs?

Choccywoccydodah Tue 03-Feb-15 17:52:25

TFF she was asking for advice, not a blasting, that was very unfair.

Slushie, you do what you believe is best for YOUR child. Good luck smile

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 03-Feb-15 17:54:46

Mine were 6 and 4 when they got rid of it entirely,by their choice.
I didn't fret as I reckoned they'd do it sometime before adulthood.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 03-Feb-15 17:55:46

Feckless surely at this age we make the decisions we believe are in the best interests of our children? I'm sure my DD wants to drink orange juice rather than water, but I don't give it to her. OP's daughter may want a dummy but OP knows that they can be bad for a child's teeth and therefore has decided to take it away. Do you give your children everything they want?

Watching thread with interest as DD is 15 months and I'm already wondering how I'm going to stop her having it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now