Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Is this unusual?

(10 Posts)
caleyhighlander Mon 02-Feb-15 04:59:47

The School that my 6yr old attends issues a waterproof jacket with the uniform and during winter months have a policy that it MUST be worn and fastened up because teachers don't want kids coming into class with soaking wet uniform or kids complaining of cold.

Is this an unusual policy and do you agree with it, would you like a similar policy at your child's school?

Arsenic Mon 02-Feb-15 05:01:37

I've never heard of it. Are you an actual highlander? Is that key?

caleyhighlander Mon 02-Feb-15 05:23:34

Not sure if this helps Arsenic but my username "caleyhighlander" refers to a Scottish Football team.

Caley is nickname of Inverness Caledonian Thistle (who I support) and they are referred to as "highlanders" hence why I chose that username :-).

AggressiveBunting Mon 02-Feb-15 05:30:58

Hmm-as a parent I'm totally in the "well if you wont wear a coat/ insist on wearing shorts in January that's up to you but dont complain if you're cold" camp BUT I can also see the schools POV if there's an ongoing issue with kids getting soaked at first break and having to sit in wet uniform all day. I imagine the policy was introduced due to the alternative being a PITA so as a parent I'd probably go along with it.

caleyhighlander Mon 02-Feb-15 05:36:03

For what its worth, I totally agree with the policy but DD doesn't because she likes to have a bit of control over when her coat needs worn/fastened.

Arsenic Mon 02-Feb-15 05:37:02

Aha.

Arsenic Mon 02-Feb-15 05:39:06

X post. I'm not sure I'd like it from a safety POV - All DC looking the same, hard to spot my own on way home etc. Difficult to add reflective strips? Or do they have them? I can see your DD's POV too actually.

18yearstooold Mon 02-Feb-15 06:12:05

Having spent half of last week digging out clothes from lost property and draping wet clothes over various radiators around school, I can understand the rule

However having a coat refusing child myself, I can see if would be incredibly difficult to enforce

Gwinnieneedsapie Mon 02-Feb-15 09:56:26

I wish it were possible to enforce this in secondary schools - SO many hours wasted trying to teach teenagers who are complaining of being wet (even though it's their choice to go out in the rain without a coat).
Btw am off today - not on mn whilst working!

squizita Mon 02-Feb-15 20:52:18

Aggressive the problem is some parents would complain about it even if their child chose to. Also, whoever sits next to the grumpy, wet, wriggling child is going to have a long/distracted afternoon.
I've known kids to put snowballs in their pockets "for next break" then complain of cold/wetness. shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: