Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Starting cloth nappies at 10 months?

(15 Posts)
Imeg Sat 31-Jan-15 17:07:31

I did want to use reusable nappies but never quite got round to sorting it out before the baby arrived, and then after a Caesarean it was pretty low on the priority list. I know we maybe wouldn't get the full value out of them but I am wondering about starting to use at least some cloth nappies as I have heard they are better for potty training. I do find all the different types very confusing so I wondered whether anyone has experience of doing this, and whether there are any particular types that would work well when starting with an older baby rather than a newborn?
Thank you.

bagofsnakes Sat 31-Jan-15 20:09:03

I think you would still get a ton of value out of them and the certainly help with potty training. People do say that cloth nappy babies potty train earlier and although I can't say I've noticed that (DC1 is 2.7 and still mostly in nappies) it is easy to have a conversation with him about it as he is very aware that he is wet and will even ask to have his nappy changed on occasion!

From about the age of 9 or 10 months we've used a mix of prefolds and Motherease fitted nappies, not the Sandy type which I don't rate, just their regular fitted nappy. I would say leave the prefolds for now as they can be tricky for an older baby but I'd really recommend the Motherease fitted nappies with airflow covers. They are such good quality that you could get some second hand from eBay and they'll still be in brill condition. All of my Motherease fitted nappies are second hand and they have done wonderfully for DC1 and will easily have enough life for DC2. You will need the snap in boosters (often sold with the nappies) and flushable liners to dispose of poo.

Good luck with it all!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 31-Jan-15 20:15:16

I wouldn't do cloth for supposed potty training benefits. It hasn't been particularly true for me or anyone I know.

But I do love cloth and I think you're at the perfect age for changing, because if you want to do sized nappies around 9 months tends to be when they go up a size. So you'll get as much use out of them as anyone (of course, if you plan more children, that isn't as much of an issue).

Do you know about the basic options for nappies:

- pockets

- all in ones

- nappies and wraps.

I think fundamentally you need to think about what of those is likely to suit you, your lifestyle and any childcare and then work from there. smile

WhyNotSmile Sat 31-Jan-15 20:18:07

I'm just trying out cloth nappies with my 6mo and have been impressed. I'm doing a trial via our local cloth nappy library - you could see whether there's one near you. Ours do monthly sessions in the local IKEA, where someone will talk you through the options and you can see how they work. The trial costs £20 and includes about 8 types of nappies, so you can see what works.

There are also Facebook groups for buying and selling, so you could buy a few second hand to try before you commit. You could also resell any you don't like, or once you're done.

DS is a heavy wetter at night, and always leaked out of disposables, whereas with cloth he hasn't overflowed yet! Only one daytime poonami leak too, and that was one that I hadn't really fitted on him properly (he always leaks with disposables anyway).

BlueChampagne Sat 31-Jan-15 22:58:20

If you're planning any more children, you'll reap the benefits. Look on Freecycle too.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sun 01-Feb-15 03:54:15

I recommend Nappy Lady she has a form on her website to fill out and she will advise you on type of cloth nappy system best for your baby. There's also a hire kit with loads of different types do you can try before you buy. We did both and did buy what was originally recommended! Different nappys work for different babies.
We use Bumgenius Freetime all in ones for day time, and Little Lamb bamboo with a mother ease wrap for night time.

Imeg Sun 01-Feb-15 14:43:36

Thank you all.

Penguins - I understand that some are all in one and some have a separate waterproof outer and absorbent inner, but I don't quite understand what a 'pocket' one is?

I did contact the Nappy Lady before and she had some helpful advice but I'm a bit embarrassed to contact her again having not used her previous advice!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 01-Feb-15 14:52:26

Some nappies have separate outers and inners. You put the inner bit on, then put a waterproof outer bit on afterwards. Little lambs nappies would be an example. They come in more or less structured sorts. Some have Velcro to do up and are pre-shaped, others are traditional folding terries, etc, etc.

All in ones are what they say. A nappy you put on just like a disposable but then stick in the wash. The downsides are that they can be very slow to dry and you can't adjust the absorbancy as easily. Dead easy to use though. Totsbots easyfit are a well known all inone.

Pockets are like a combination. There is an outer with a pocket inside. You stuff the pocket with the inner bits. These are good because they come apart to wash and dry fast, but if you have pre-stuffed them they are like a disposable to use. Especially if you choose a Velcro option. Bumgenius v4 are probably the best known.

There are some nappies which combine features of all of these, but those are the basic categories. They then come in either sized styles (where the point you change size is often about 9 months) or birth-to-potty, which adjust more.

I'd go back to the nappy lady. I'm sure she won't mind!

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sun 01-Feb-15 16:05:11

I wouldn't worry about contacting the nappy lady again! I did questionnaire 3 times, then ordered a trial kit anyway!

SageYourResoluteOracle Sun 01-Feb-15 22:27:36

I used cloth from 10months- gnappies. They were fantastic and saved us a fortune, not lest because we got £100 for them when sold on!

SageYourResoluteOracle Sun 01-Feb-15 22:28:28

And DD potty trained at 2 and was dry within 2 weeks!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 01-Feb-15 22:37:05

gnappies are hybrid aren't they - disposable core? How do they save money?

bagofsnakes Mon 02-Feb-15 08:11:18

We looked into gnappies for DC1 and you can get reusable or disposable cores. We didn't go that route as they were new (so not many reviews) and they seemed too expensive but from the post above, it seems they have great resale value.

Imeg Mon 02-Feb-15 10:50:31

Thank you Penguins - that's a really clear description smile

I will go back to the Nappy Lady - thank you all for your suggestions, much appreciated.

SageYourResoluteOracle Mon 02-Feb-15 15:42:51

You can use disposable (compostable if only soaked in wee) inserts or washable fleece ones. We only used washable ones. Saved a fortune even though DD only used them for 14 months! And good for the environment in terms of landfill. Easy to line/airer dry, too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: