Talk

Advanced search

comforter for baby if they won't take dummy or suck thumb?

(19 Posts)
ElleOhElle Fri 30-Jan-15 11:03:55

If your baby didn't take a dummy or suck their thumb what did they have as a comforter?
I'd really like to find something that my 11 week old can keep near him as he finds it very upsetting being put down. he will occasionally suck a dummy but struggles to keep it in.
I've tried leaving him with the muslin I've been carrying so it's got my scent on it but that doesn't work. he's got a little teddy with fleecey blanket do I just keep leaving that with him??
any tips on encouraging him to find comfort in anything including dummy?
Thanks

WrappedInABlankie Fri 30-Jan-15 14:01:54

Some don't have any

I gave my DS a Winnie the Pooh comforter that cost £20 never liked it lol didn't give him a dummy and he never sucked his thumb despite me being told he would if I didn't give him one.

At around 1 he took a shine to my green throw from primark. 2 years later they've been sucked, pooped on, puked on and one is for the sofa and ones for his bed. You try and take and use it even when he's not he will take it off you lol.

They find something they take a shine too and that's it I think

sleepyhead Fri 30-Jan-15 14:19:52

Same as Wrapped. Ds1 didn't suck his thumb and didn't have a dummy and giving him objects in the hope that he'd attach to them totally failed.

Between age 1 and 2 he became attached to a cheapo Tesco fleece blanket and also chose a favourite bear. Age 8 he still takes these two objects to bed with him (although the blanket is trying hard to turn back into plastic bottles or whatever it was made from in the first place).

ElleOhElle Fri 30-Jan-15 15:48:11

grin Maybe he won't need anything then. I'm just clutching at straws trying to find something to make him happy

WrappedInABlankie Fri 30-Jan-15 15:54:42

He will be happy don't worry smile

I have to say the only issue with trying to get then attached to something is when they're I'll and the puke on it and it needs to go In the wash. 2am and DS is screaming BLANKIE at the top of his lungs as he's puked on them both. no other cover with do, it has to be that green blanket that you can no longer buy in primark, other colours yes, but not green so it's a no go for him haha enjoy it!!

mrsmugoo Fri 30-Jan-15 20:16:58

Mine sucked his fingers for about a month now he doesn't have anything. He just falls asleep by himself.

Littlef00t Fri 30-Jan-15 21:00:48

I went with the bear blanket, sounds like the one you've got. Laid it over her hand/arm every night and nap and now at 10 mo she grabs it and snuggles into it while I'm zipping up her gro bag.

Mummyk1982 Sat 31-Jan-15 08:44:25

Our little girl has one of those little fleecey square cumforter things with a bunny in the corner- she sucks the bunnys ears :-)

roofio87 Sat 31-Jan-15 09:08:38

my ds is obsessed with muslin cloths. they're great as he loves to hold them and sleeps with one in each hand, but any will do so we just have about 20 that are constantly everywhere and getting washed etc

Scotinoz Sat 31-Jan-15 09:16:31

So far, my 14 month old hasn't taken to any real sort of comforter. Never had a dummy, never sucked her thumb and never took to any of the muslin/blanket comforters we offered. She sucked the cuff of her pyjamas for a while, and sucks her fingers now and again. Maybe some kids don't need a comforter? I wouldn't worry too much.

ElleOhElle Sat 31-Jan-15 09:22:56

maybe I need him to need something blush I think he feels a bit insecure when left (don't get me wrong I'll always go to him if he needs comforting but sometimes I can't get there straight away if DD needs me or we're in the car)
I can definitely see the benefit of him not needing anything, desperately searching the house for DD's dummy was always fun!!!??hmm

SuburbanRhonda Sat 31-Jan-15 09:28:50

Dummies don't make a baby happy. They just stop them crying.

fattymcfatfat Sat 31-Jan-15 09:41:27

My ds had a dummy for 8 months but dd would never take one and has always been much easier to settle!

ourglass Sat 31-Jan-15 18:56:17

My daughter loves sucking on a muslin cloth.

ohcluttergotme Sat 31-Jan-15 18:59:32

My dd (7.5 months) has a pink jelly cat rabbit that she's had since birth that she loves sooking the ears. It's disgusting and smelly now but she loves it and it really soothes her.
My little boy (5) had a white jelly cat sheep that he still takes to bed.

MaisonWhite Sun 05-Feb-17 14:23:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 05-Feb-17 14:29:03

We were given an aiden and anais 'musy mate' when DD was born. It's been with her for virtually every sleep since birth. She only recently started reaching for it and acting like it was actually comforting her in the last few months since her first birthday!

Me624 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:03:06

Another one here with the jelly cat bunny/blanket comforter. I started putting it in the cot with DS when he was about 4 months old and giving it to him for naps in the buggy and he quite quickly became attached to it, he strokes the ears and sometimes sucks them if his dummy falls out.

I've just gone back to work and at home he just has it for sleeping but he carries it round with him most of the day at nursery. Where it gets filthy! We have two (I bought a second as soon as he started getting attached) and so I swap them out for regular washing. I think I might buy a couple more to replace when these two get too worn!

Camomila Sun 05-Feb-17 19:56:56

My boobs blush

Though now he has a musical/light up bear which I turn on at bed time and he does seem to associate it with sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now