Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What's your evening routine with 2+ kids?

(12 Posts)
proseccoplease Thu 29-Jan-15 20:40:28

I have a 2.5 DD and a 7wk DS. We've always been very evening routine orientated which has been 'rewarded' by our DD always going to bed after her bath with books being read/teeth cleaning/milk, etc.
What's your evening routine with 2+ kids?

laurenfalvey Thu 29-Jan-15 22:01:05

I have a 14 week old.. 5 year old and 7 year old. I bath the 5 and 7 year old at 6pm and get them ready for bed then they both read to me and I read to them and by then it's 7pm so I take the 5 year old up and sit with him for 20 mins while he settles... at the same time I'm giving the 14 week old her bedtime bottle then I pop her into her moses basket and kiss the 5 year old goodnight so I'm back downstairs by half 7 and I spend half hour talking with my 7 year old and take him up at 8 and just give him a kiss so I'm back down by 8.10pm and the 3 kiddies are all asleep smile

neversleepagain Thu 29-Jan-15 23:02:58

Dinner at 5:15(ish), bath at 6pm, pjamas, milk and stories, teeth and then bed at 7pm.

Twins, 2.4.

fattymcfatfat Fri 30-Jan-15 14:40:08

I have a 1yo and a 6 yo. Bath dd (1yo) at six, teeth brushed jamas on story and into bed with a bottle. While I am doing that ds (6yo) is in the bath/shower then he gets his jamas on and comes downstairs. We have an hour of chatting about anything and everything and doing his reading book then its up to bed at half seven for story (usually a chapter of harry potter at the minute) kiss and hug goodnight then peace!

blushingmare Fri 30-Jan-15 22:03:05

2.5yo and 9mo. Dinner 5pm. Bath together 5:45 ish. Get baby out first, dry and dress while toddler amuses herself in the bath. Get toddler out, dry, dress, teeth. Into toddler's room - baby plays with some toys while toddler gets a couple of stories, songs and tucked into bed by around 6:30. Then feed baby and put to bed around 6:45/7ish.

The evenings have got a lot easier since DD dropped her nap and is tired enough to go to bed with no complaints by 6:30.

blushingmare Sat 31-Jan-15 08:42:50

But this system came a little later than the stage you're at. When he was really little I put him in the sling at DD's dinner time and he pretty much slept through her dinner, bath and bed and was then up with us in the evenings, snoozing on and off in the Moses basket downstairs. At 9 weeks he started going down to bed in the evening, but I would put him down first as he couldn't last long enough through DD's bedtime. DD just watched endless videos on my phone while I fed and settled the baby. Not ideal, but it got us through that phase.

slightlyinsane Sat 31-Jan-15 14:15:06

6.30 dd10 has shower while I bath dd7& ds4. They get dressed while I bath 8 month twins. Downstairs for hair dry while twins play. Dd & ds short story and tuck in while dd sits with twins in bouncy chairs. Dd to bed to read for a while before lights out. Twins bottles then bed, then up again then bed, then up again then bed this continues for a while. When they finally go to sleep I think about going to bed to realise my dd7 has managed to sneak into my bed. She gets put back to bed then I go to bed which is when the twins internal warning system goes off to alert them to the fact that I've had the cheek to go to bed and they have to get me up.
Not a fan of bedtime right now, the older 3 are very good just the twins making evenings a nightmare

blushingmare Sat 31-Jan-15 18:29:11

A 10yo, 7yo, 4yo and 8 mo twins?! Slightlyinsane, you are, well, slightly insane! Respect. I'm ready for bed just reading about your evening!

HungerKunstler Sat 31-Jan-15 18:57:55

Watching with interest... currently DD (3 months) goes in the sling while I get DS (3) his dinner, bath and stories. It works ok for now but at some point I'm going to need to get DD into some kind of routine. No idea how or when that's going to happen when DS is so bloody loud and hyper at bedtime!

proseccoplease Sat 31-Jan-15 19:41:03

Ended up BF ds whilst reading dd bedtime stories in her bed. Not quite ideal, but it kinda worked. Think I'll have to be a bit stricter with having tea at 5 rather than 6/.630 and mad dash for bath and bed by 7 (which rarely happens ��).

blushingmare Sat 31-Jan-15 22:52:32

I don't know, that sounds pretty good to me OP! Yes I've found I start dinner much earlier these days - 5, sometimes even 4:45, which feels crazily early, but they don't seem to mind!

fattymcfatfat Sat 31-Jan-15 22:59:51

Op thst sounds good to me. I used to feed dd when tucking ds in etc when she was smaller. Im presuming by dinner you mean tea? We usually eat around 5. 30

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: