Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

baby biting boobs - help!

(6 Posts)
feezap Wed 28-Jan-15 08:13:46

My pfb ds is four months and has got his two bottom (razor sharp) front teeth already. I am breastfeeding and when he feeds properly this isn't an issue at all.

But, in the last few days at the beginning or end of some feeds he has started biting, and not just a little nip, a proper chomp - It bloody hurts!

Pushing his face into my boob has been suggested but doesn't work so I am currently saying ow very loudly and taking him off the boob in the hope that he will learn not to.

This doesn't stop the biting in the meantime though, there's no way i want to stop breastfeeding ths early, anyone have any other ideas?

oldgent913 Wed 28-Jan-15 10:10:22

Ask your doctor there is a plastic thing that goes between you and baby,very simple but effective.

NorahBone Wed 28-Jan-15 11:11:45

Say "no", take him off and put him down without interaction for a few minutes. He'll stop when he's got used to his new teeth (hopefully).
I just used to scream. Hth grin

Zebda Wed 28-Jan-15 11:16:49

Yep, I've been there! Agree with pp - stop the feed immediately, say no biting! firmly and put him down for a few minutes. He will soon get the message.

The plastic thingies oldgent refers to are nipple guards you can buy in boots/any chemist. Beware though that its a different type of latch so if you use them too long (I had to use for 6 weeks when DD was born due to flat nipples) it can be really hard to reestablish latch.

I found the biting was only a really consistent pb when DS was sick with bronchitis and had impaired breathing/struggled to stay on.

Thewonderyears1 Wed 28-Jan-15 11:17:50

I found whenever I tried to be stern and said 'no' my baby just laughed at me and it didn't stop her doing it again! Similar to NorahBone, What did work was saying no, taking her off and sitting her on the floor (or anywhere other than your lap) for a minute. I only had to do it once and She hasn't bitten again since. She'll now come off, grab my finger to bite and ease her teething pains and then latch back on to feed! Good luck!

feezap Sat 31-Jan-15 18:07:33

Thanks All!

He seems to have stopped biting, at least for now grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: