Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Double buggy

(19 Posts)
Bigbadgeorge Mon 26-Jan-15 20:12:17

I have read a million threads asking the same thing but I'm totally getting my knickers in a twist over whether to get a double pram or not. Please help!!
I will have dd who will be 22 months and a newborn. We have to walk up a busy main road to get anywhere (approx 2 miles). We only have 1 car so may not always have it through the day and I will have had a c section so no driving for a month anyway. But money is tight and even second hand baby joggers etc are expensive.
Yes or no?

Bigbadgeorge Mon 26-Jan-15 20:13:06

Ps was advised that buggy boards rubbish for the under threes

loudarts Mon 26-Jan-15 20:15:59

It really depends on how much dd is used to walking. If she is used to walking at least some of the way I would go with a buggy board. If she normally sits in the buggy go with a double. smile

loudarts Mon 26-Jan-15 20:17:02

Ps My dd has been on a buggy board since she turned 2 as she refused to go in the buggy. She loves it

Bigbadgeorge Mon 26-Jan-15 20:48:51

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I'll start making her walk a bit more so she is used to it. She's 20 months and likes walking, just not necessarily in the direction I would like....:-)

stressbucket1 Mon 26-Jan-15 21:29:01

Only thing with the buggy board is if they have a strop and refuse to get on it or walk you are a but stuck whereas you could wrestle them into a buggy and carry on!

Stubbed Mon 26-Jan-15 21:34:45

I agree buggy boards are difficult with a strop. And not warm in the winter. If you have to go and walk they could be all snug in a footmuff in the buggy. I would only use a buggy board for chucking in the car for emergencies

Nevercan Mon 26-Jan-15 21:43:03

Look on eBay or a local NCT sale. I picked up a double Macarena buggy for £40 and it was invaluable for about a year and a half. It made things so much easier. I would regularly have both snoozing it in at the same time which you can't do with a buggy board :-)

MrsCs Mon 26-Jan-15 22:11:57

I'm looking at the Joovy Caboose Ultralight, look on Amazon, looks awesome

Bigbadgeorge Tue 27-Jan-15 22:59:08

Thanks for replies! Argh I'm back on double buggy thoughts again after resigning myself to a buggy board!
Thanks for the suggestions of other types, I will look them up.

stargirl1701 Tue 27-Jan-15 23:02:05

We use a buggy board/sling combo. We have the Stokke Xplory. Sometimes DD1 is in the pram and DD2 is in the sling. Sometimes DD1 is on the board and DD2 is in the pram. Really works for us. There are 23 months between them.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 27-Jan-15 23:12:09

can you wait until the baby gets here to see how you get on? my DD was 2.5 when dd2 came along and we managed fine without one. she is very adept at scooting though and i often loop a scoot'n'pull rope through the buggy so I can tow her along if she gets tired. the buggy board just annoyed me (makes the buggy really heavy and hard to push).

the only time I really needed a buggy for the older one was when she was incredibly unwell and couldn't physically walk to the gp. I stuffed the baby in a sling and the toddler in the buggy.

fizzycolagurlie Wed 28-Jan-15 05:09:44

I got a double buggy and it lasted a lot longer than I expected. From when mine were 3 months and 18 months to well, about 3 and 4 which I felt was a bit too long!

But it was a life saver, if they got tired, if they were asleep, if one felt ill, if one wanted to walk and you could stuff the shopping in their seat. Sometimes they would sit in it with a variety of shop items stuffed around them.

If you can get a 2nd hand Phil and Ted you'll not regret it.

shattered77 Wed 28-Jan-15 06:15:20

I had a newborn and 19 month old. Eventually got a second hand Phil and teds for 40 quid. I had a c section and this was easier to push than a normal double buggy. If they are in a pushchair you will obviously benefit from them being restricted and nodding off smile

elvislives2012 Wed 28-Jan-15 06:20:41

Hi. I have a 6 month old and a 26 month old. I got rid of my P&T and bought a second hand double out n about and I love it. Very light and easy to steer. Cost £160. I thought of s buggy board but she is still little and gets tired so wants somewhere to sit

Alwaysinahurrynow Wed 28-Jan-15 06:33:17

You could wait and see. We did but then got one on next day delivery when it became clear it was needed (same age gap as yours but an older DS). Only thing I might add (not sure if you've had a section before) is that there is no way I could push the double buggy with toddler and baby for a few weeks post section, so you may just want to bear this in mind (reckon toddler/baby/buggy combined is about 5 stone) when you are thinking about what you are going to be able to do in the early weeks.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 28-Jan-15 11:48:07

What is your current buggy? We had a bee so just had a buggy board with a sling for emergencies. Toddler into buggy, baby into sling. Doesn't work with a bassinet style though.

Yoruba Wed 28-Jan-15 12:56:00

I would definitely get one. Had same age gap as you - we don't actually walk all that often during the week but I couldn't have coped without it. Even for simple things like school run it's so much easier to put a stropping toddler in buggy and go rather than trying to convince them to walk. Especially when you're late and stressed. And on days out at the weekend it was essential.

I also would get one now if you're price sensitive as it means you can wait and watch on ebay etc for a good buy. If you wait until you're desperate you'll end up paying more. Also, if buying second hand, you won't lose much if you don't use it and sell on.

Bigbadgeorge Wed 28-Jan-15 20:57:05

Thanks again for everyone's replies. We currently have a babystyle oyster which to be honest won't last much longer (brake doesn't work and the chassis doesn't clip together when folded anymore). Tempted by Phil and ted or even second hand oyster max that I can keep using as a single for ds2 when dd1 no longer needs it.
I did have a c section last time but I was a bit of an idiot and just did everything I normally would which in retrospect wasn't sensible!
I am determined to use a sling from the beginning this time as I didn't discover them for three months first time round, and it was awesome when we started using it. So hopefully this will give us more options, although the thought of having to wrestle a tantruming toddler with a baby strapped to me is a bit scary...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now