Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

baby had a hardish poo, been taking gaviscon for 3 days (I think)

(19 Posts)
silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 15:58:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 15:59:18

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 19:38:20

MrsCK Sun 25-Jan-15 20:18:45

What are your concerns? to me that sounds normal?

As an aside...

and I mean this in the kindest possible way....

It might be worth going to the GP for yourself. You are very anxious and rightly so as a ftm but I do worry your anxiety might be a precursor to PND. Please do talk to someone. nobody is at all perfect and you sound to be doing a wonderful job.

CurlsLDN Sun 25-Jan-15 20:26:49

Gaviscon makes them constipated. We were given it for ds's reflux at 5mo, but the constipation was more distressing for him than the reflux! We decided to just use it with his bedtime feed or if he was distressed, and wipe the puke up the rest of the time!
If it is being used for reflux in your case and you want to continue its worth going back to the gp and discussing the constipation, there is other medicine they can give that doesn't cause it, but they try gaviscon first

CurlsLDN Sun 25-Jan-15 20:29:32

Sorry, that should read 5weeks old, not months

Rikalaily Sun 25-Jan-15 20:32:01

Same as CurlsLDN DD was on it for reflux but the constipation left her in more pain and distress, it did get worse and in the end she didn't go for 2 weeks and when she finally did it was rock hard marbles. She was EBF so not normal. I stopped the Gaviscon completely but she still suffered from constipation until she was about 2.

Allstoppedup Sun 25-Jan-15 20:39:07

Gavison can make them a little constipated/give them more solid poos!

Unless you've posted many things that I have missed wouldn't say that you seem unduly or overly anxious from this post!hmm

I was fairly laid back when DS was tiny and still took a mental note of all nappies and wondered about anything that differed from the norm. I think its just normal to do that when you have a newborn!

If you notice you LO really struggling to pass stools, go back to your GP and they might be able to look at alternate medicine.

flowers

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 25-Jan-15 20:45:07

I would echo was MrsCK said.

I do understand how bewildering being a first time mum is. How desperately you want to do it right and how difficult that is if you don't have a close friend or family member nearby who has done it before. It's not that long ago I was in that position myself.

But I've seen quite a few really worried threads by you and I think you are being very hard on yourself. Speaking to someone in real life might help more than we ever can. sad

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 20:47:27

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 25-Jan-15 20:50:58

Pate consistency can be completely normal for a ff baby. Unless its properly hard I wouldn't worry.

As mrsCK says though you do seem very anxious from your threads and it may be a good idea to talk to gp about yourself.

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 20:51:13

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 25-Jan-15 20:57:58

Silver if you speak directly to gp they can offer counselling, medication and will chase up new HV for you.

It is really hard as a ftm, especially if you don't have a close by support network of family and friends to help out.

Oh and I promise it does get better and easier. PND and anxiety are extremely hard but with help, will go and everything just seems easier then.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 25-Jan-15 20:58:37

It may just still be the chaos of hormones at five weeks. Or the shell shock of parenthood - don't underestimate that. But PHD can sneak up on you too. Do get checked out and look after yourself. People on here are always happy to help, don't ever worry about bothering people. It is just that there is only so much 'computer people ' can do.smile

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 25-Jan-15 20:59:15

PND. I don't think a PhD sneaks up on you. grin

MrsCK Sun 25-Jan-15 21:20:39

Do keep asking about your little one on here too lovely. It must be hard not having much RL support so don't stop asking questions xxx

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 21:33:18

MrsCK Sun 25-Jan-15 22:02:16

Oh I'm the same Silver....very high expectations of myself and need to get everything right!!!

Let us know how you get on chatting to the hv or gp about the tears and remember there are lots of people online too who will support you xxx

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 22:26:05

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: