Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

DS1 eats at friend's houses a lot but they don't often come here

(5 Posts)
FamilyAdventure Sat 24-Jan-15 20:52:31

They're yr9 and organise their own social lives. It generally involves meeting at the park, which is about 1.5 miles from here. This means, when they're hungry or cold or it starts getting dark they go to other houses closer to the park than ours. Usually they just have a drink and a biscuit but fairly frequently DS is invited to stay for dinner.

He and his friends know they're welcome here but they don't come because it's easier to go elsewhere and/or they don't fancy the walk (I don't think it's my cooking!)

Do I need to do more to do my share or do I leave them be? It's group of about 7-8 boys and there are probably 3 houses they seem to visit most.

FamilyAdventure Sat 24-Jan-15 20:54:36

Actually what often happens is he sets off to meet people at the park without any proper arrangements and if no-one's there he'll knock at some of the nearby houses and get invited in.

Artandco Sat 24-Jan-15 20:55:15

Maybe offer a 'sleepover' or similar every couple of months. That way other parents have yours a few hours each week, but your offering a good 12-18hrs in one go.

Even better once it warms up do sleep overs in tent in garden if possible! Means you don't hear them

FamilyAdventure Sat 24-Jan-15 21:48:05

That's a good idea, thank you

BlueChampagne Mon 26-Jan-15 13:19:16

You could send him with picnic goodies for everyone in the summer?

Like the tent idea too - it will add to the feeling of adventure for them too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: