Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

anyone else cry when their baby crys or am I just pathetic?

(25 Posts)
silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 16:10:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

livefastlove Sat 24-Jan-15 16:20:03

I dont think you are pathetic, but maybe you are a bit too worried about your baby. Babies dont have any real concept of how serious something is. She really hated having her nappy changed and she told you so. She will probably cry like that over all sorts of things that she hates as she grows up. But its nice to know that normally if you sort out her problem and give her a cuddle she will feel much better.

livefastlove Sat 24-Jan-15 16:38:22

Btw how do you feel in general? If you are feeling generally a bit run down, maybe you are sleep deprived or feeling low mentally it might be affecting you mood and resilience. Do you get enough rest and eat well? Do you think you might need to talk to your GP, if you are very low in mood all the time?

buttercupbear Sat 24-Jan-15 16:41:38

Sorry, but no! It's nice that you care, your baby is obviously very loved which is great, but maybe seems a little ott?

felkov Sat 24-Jan-15 17:07:28

I was the same way when DD was really little. I think it was just overactive postpartum hormones in my case as I'm 6 months down the line now and much more able to deal with crying!

silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 17:19:16

livefastlove Sat 24-Jan-15 17:50:27

Its quite natural to worry about her health problem and it sounds like you are doing the right thing with her medication, although I am not an expert on that. But be sure to look after yourself, take naps while she sleeps if you can, eat well, have your OH help out so you can rest and have a break from baby care for an hour or so. I always ring my mum if I'm feeling a bit down or worried, but it depends on your mum!

Luxme Sat 24-Jan-15 18:18:09

Nope, I was exactly the same with my DD when she was 5 weeks too....even about the broken fingers. You are probably like I was, Tired, full of hormones and FTM.
Empathy is a normal, human emotion...if you didn't feel anything when she was screaming then Thats worrying.
You'll get used to it though, I stop and pick my DD up for a cuddle when she gets to what I call 'level 4' crying, but I don't cry myself anymore.

confused79 Sat 24-Jan-15 18:24:02

I used to all the time. But that was usually after I'd tried everything, and they just wouldn't stop!

silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 19:33:06

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 24-Jan-15 19:52:08

I was just about to say as gaviscon is a feed thickener you may find she needs bigger teats.

On the crying front only if DS was absolutely screaming and I couldn't console him for ages - then I would cry. Otherwise it upset me but didn't make me actually cry.

silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 22:53:29

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 24-Jan-15 23:03:44

If the screaming is from reflux then bf probably wouldn't have made a difference. DS had very severe silent reflux (still has problems at nearly 3yrs) - he was far far worse in the 9weeks I bf for than when I swapped to formula. Always felt guilty for not swapping sooner.

GingerCuddleMonster Sat 24-Jan-15 23:12:18

I've cried a few times, normally after about 2/3 hours of back arching and screaming from DS sad no reflux, teething a little, no fever, fed, dry.

I've had to put him in the cot safe, step out of the room, put my iPod on and just cry for one song, then return and give settling another go.

hang in there mum, your doing fine thanks

silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 23:22:41

silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 23:30:37

GingerCuddleMonster Sat 24-Jan-15 23:54:38

As she is bottle fed you could treat yourself to a day off! Organise for dad to have her one day and you go out, maybe get a haircut, meet a friend for coffee. Perhaps the break will help. It's completely your call, if you think it would help give it a go smile.

silverandblack Sat 24-Jan-15 23:58:48

GothicRainbow Sun 25-Jan-15 00:04:04

My DS had colic and reflux as a new born and it was probably the hardest thing me and my DH have ever been through.

I've had moments where I've had to put him in his cot and just leave him for 5mins just to have a break. I always remember one afternoon my DM came in to see me after work and DS had cried for 7 hours straight and I pretty much launched him at her and then sobbed big ugly snotty tears.

One of my saviours was my boba stretchy sling. My DS found it incredibly soothing as he couldn't handle being laid flat in a pram so this was our mode of transport and as he was a Velcro baby it meant I could pee, eat, drink & even clean my teeth!

He is now a gorgeous 20 month old toddler and things have improved so so much. Hang in there OP. Please visit the living with reflux website and also join their facebook group it has really helped me through our reflux journey.

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 00:07:48

Luxme Sun 25-Jan-15 00:31:44

Poor you!!! Agree on the day off!!

livefastlove Sun 25-Jan-15 08:53:52

A bit of time off will do you good. It sounds like your OH wouldn't mind? Just a few hours to have coffee with a friend or whatever, will be really nice and help you recharge your batteries.
I am glad you sorted out her bottle and now she is feeding and getting her meds she may feel better.

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 09:04:06

GingerCuddleMonster Sun 25-Jan-15 09:24:05

do it! go have a nose mil and dp will manage, dp is alive isn't he grin

try not to worry or get too upset, babies cry it's their only way of communicating and sometimes they just ent a cry, DS has tantrums they started at about 4months he holds his breath goes bright red then screams the place down, you'll get used to their little personalities. don't worry it will get easier thanks

silverandblack Sun 25-Jan-15 09:40:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now