Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

mu baby is constipated I don't care what the hv says help!

(23 Posts)
silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 00:51:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 00:52:29

Adarajames Fri 23-Jan-15 00:57:36

Reflex points on arches of feet can be great for relieving constipation, if you can't afford to see a reflexologist you can google / YouTube how to do it, and as long as done very gently then it won't hat or hurt evenif doesn't help as much as someone who knows what doing would. Just the gentle massaging action can also help calm a stressed baby too

Snuffleump Fri 23-Jan-15 01:03:34

How are you feeding her? Is she always straining when she's fussy?

5 weeks is so little, they're just getting used to the world so I think some fussiness is normal.

My dd was a very screamy newborn, a stretchy wrap and co sleeping improved that a lot. I bf her and had a few issues with that so I think a lot of the crying was hunger for her.

silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 01:54:23

McFox Fri 23-Jan-15 02:23:16

I gave my DS the odd ounce of fennel tea every day when he was in pain. It really helps with digestive problems. Just a very weak solution does the trick.

excitedforbaba Fri 23-Jan-15 02:23:45

My HV said the comfort milk can actually cause coconstipation
Our GP recommends cooled boiled water a few Times per day and HV also has mentioned a tea spoon of freshly squeezed Orange in 5oz water but only letting them drink 1oz but obviously check with your doctor/HV first

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 23-Jan-15 02:29:25

I wouldn't give a 5 week old baby watered down orange juice, fennel tea or regular water.

If you feel she's not right in herself go to your GP and get her checked out.

The grunting/wriggling/straining in her sleep or whilst awake is very typical new born baby behaviour though. If she is still doing a regular runny poo each day, it would be unlikely that she has a compacted hard poo that she can't pass. But this is where a GP would be able to clarify for you.

Threeplus1 Fri 23-Jan-15 02:57:03

I was told the fresh squeezed orange juice or sugar water for a constipated baby too - almost instant relief!

rootypig Fri 23-Jan-15 04:17:52

Agree with gentle foot massage, and lying DD on her tum for a bit used to work wonders - it puts light pressure on the bowels.

lentilpot Fri 23-Jan-15 04:33:19

My DS benefitted from some gentle tummy massage - I did it at every nappy change, I did a course at my children's centre but you can probably find something on YouTube. The best moves for us were "water wheels" and "sun and moon", plus gently pushing their knees up to their tummy gets their back passage to open up, which might help.

silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 08:40:42

silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 09:09:14

Emus Fri 23-Jan-15 09:11:51

Would you consider swaping ff brand to Aptimil (one of my friends has just done this and seen a massive difference). You could buy a couple of small pre-made bottle to try first, might make a difference or might not but worth a go?). Good luck, sounds very stressful for all of you. X

Efferlunt Fri 23-Jan-15 09:16:34

I've been there sympathies! I found the reflexology videos on YouTube actually produced results which was amazing. Also cycling his feet round as if he was on a bike. A very posh elderly lady who'd been nanny to aristocrats recommend brown sugar in warm water I tried it after six months and it was effective but I would be reluctant to try that at such a young age.

mrsmugoo Fri 23-Jan-15 10:12:09

Babies that age do strain. It's not necessarily constipation, but their digestive systems just maturing to their increased milk intake.

Jenny1231990 Fri 23-Jan-15 10:19:00

My little girl had cooled boiled water when she was around the same age, it was so hot outside and she was being sick a lot. Hv said it's good for them. So go for it if it helps. It's not like your replacing milk for water all the time. Just give an oz now and again. Poor baby. Follow your instincts x

Jenny1231990 Fri 23-Jan-15 10:20:21

Also, do you think maybe a little gripe water might help. X

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 23-Jan-15 10:56:40

If it's very hot then giving some water is ok, but assuming the OP is in the UK then that isn't the case at the moment.

Hopefully the GP second opinion will either identify a problem and solution, or reassure that there's nothing wrong and it is normal behaviour.

silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 12:14:47

Bedsheets4knickers Fri 23-Jan-15 15:48:04

I had to stop the baby gavisgon as it contributes to constipation.

silverandblack Fri 23-Jan-15 16:58:39

Eminado Fri 23-Jan-15 20:01:18

Yeah be careful with the gaviscon - it does make them constipated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now