Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Baby Questions

(23 Posts)
lookingforsunshine Mon 19-Jan-15 19:43:05

Can anyone help me with the following please?

1-Easiest ways of dealing with soiled baby clothes (apart from throwing them away). I've been soaking them in cold water then washing in machine. They all come out badly stained. Do I need to add something to soaking bucket before clothes go in machine?

2-Our baby (8 weeks) cries a bit more than usual between 4:30-6:30pm (approx). He isn't particularly distressed. Just needs more cuddles than usual, doesn't like to be put down. Isn't that upset. Should I be concerned?

3-How much time do babies actually need outside? We haven't managed to get out much recently because of the weather (and various other factors). Does baby need say..15 minutes fresh air each day or does it not really matter that much?

Thanks in Advance.

neversleepagain Mon 19-Jan-15 20:10:14

I didn't use anything but soap nuts on my newborns clothes and cloth nappies. The best thing to get out poo stains is sunlight, hard at this time of year though.

Those times are hard for most parents, even my 2 year olds are grumpy in the late afternoon. A nice long cuddle on the sofa for both of you smile

They don't have to have fresh air everyday. Apart from doctors/hospital appointments I didn't take my tiny prem twins out much in the first 10 weeks (also winter babies).

lookingforsunshine Mon 19-Jan-15 20:17:01

Oh that's reassuring. Thanks. How would I know if baby had colic?

Soap nuts??

neversleepagain Mon 19-Jan-15 20:30:17

You would know! The baby would scream relentlessly for hours around the same time each evening. One of our twins had colic and dh and I nearly lost our minds!

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 19-Jan-15 20:36:01

I soak poo stains in vanish gold before washing them but you need to do it fast.

We don't go out every day (15 week old dd and 2.6yo ds) and I tend to have 2 cranky dc in the evenings.

Congratulations. smile

silverandblack Mon 19-Jan-15 20:36:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thurlow Mon 19-Jan-15 20:38:12

4-6 was the worst time when DD was little. I used to pound the streets on a long walk, that seemed to calm her. Not that you do need to go out if you don't want to - I just preferred it and it seemed to calm her a little.

NickyEds Mon 19-Jan-15 20:38:28

The general consensus is that "you'd know" if your baby had colic. It's really intense crying that can go on for hours with the baby seeming distressed but for no identifiable reason. A couple of my friends' babies have had colic and it's awful. What you're describing sounds like witching hour, i think they just get tired and grumpy at that time of day. My ds is one and we still spend a lot of time cuddling on the sofa late afternoons.

We leave badly stained clothes in Asda Little Angels Oxy action powder stuff over night, then rinse, then wash as normal. I've also tried running them through with biological washing powder to get rid of stains then washing with non bio as normal.

I don't think that there's a prescribed time for babies to be outside as such, more that it's probably good for you to get out everyday. DS was born last winter and it rained for 2 months solid so even when he was outside he was almost always under a rain cover anyway. I think he was 9 weeks old before he saw the sky! I don't think it matters that much.

lookingforsunshine Mon 19-Jan-15 21:01:16

Gosh, thanks for all the supportive and ideas. Really appreciated.
I suspected it wasn't colic but just wanted to check. Quite happy having few hours cuddle time, baby is relatively easy (touchwood) at other times.

At what point should runny poos worry me? Normally his poos are...well normal for a baby...but occasionally he has very runny ones (hence soiled clothes). Today had 3 in a day. Problem?

Superworm Mon 19-Jan-15 21:21:00

I wouldn't worry unless he's having liquid poo consistently which might signal a tummy bug. The occasional runny poo here and there is normal, as it the leakage. Vanish works wonders on getting stains out.

TwiggyHeart Mon 19-Jan-15 21:25:12

1. Napisan
2. Nothing to worry about
3. No set amount but I prefer as much as possible!

NickyEds Mon 19-Jan-15 21:25:14

Poos are ok whilst they're loose and runny but ones that are like water are sometimes a sign of a bug. The aftermath of even normal poo can be a bit horrific though!!smile Ds used to be able to get them right up to his hair!

CoolCat2014 Tue 20-Jan-15 07:53:31

I soak clothes in napisan in warm water and 95% of the time it gets the stain out. Works best if you get it soaking before the poo dries though!

munchkinmaster Tue 20-Jan-15 08:24:31

I put the shitty clothes straight on a cold rinse and wash later. Used to soak. This works way better

Stubbed Tue 20-Jan-15 08:27:17

Daylight helps sort out the baby's sleep cycle so they are more likely to sleep at night if they get daylight, best have a walk in the afternoon

AnythingNotEverything Tue 20-Jan-15 08:34:24

Daylight also helps with poo stains - even hanging on the curtain pole in the window can help.

Re runny poo - DD was ebf and had runny poo every day until weaning at 6 months. At 2-4 months she'd regularly soil a couple of outfits a day. She could poo out of any brand of nappy.

FishWithABicycle Tue 20-Jan-15 08:42:12

Can't advise on the poo stains, we never succeeded I achieving really clean.

Between 4 and 6 your baby is probably in that grumpy too-tired-to-do-anything, not-quite-tired-enough-to-sleep stage. Do you use a sling? A walk outside in a sling might help.

Getting plenty of sunlight is very helpful for establishing diurnal sleep patterns so a routine spending some time outside every day is good. It's also good for your own well-being. Cold is fine, with enough layers, but if the weather is too grotty for outside to be pleasant, don't worry, no harm done. No need to have a set target of minutes per day.

lookingforsunshine Tue 20-Jan-15 09:47:40

Thanks everyone! I'm going to buy some of products you've recommended today.
Baby sleeps well at night (we are extremely lucky, realise that could change). He definitely knows difference between night and day.

Did try a sling but it gave me back pain. Think I'll try a different one.
Any recommendations? I'm slim and small (if that makes any difference).

Will try to start taking him for walks a bit more.

Sleepyhoglet Tue 20-Jan-15 10:00:20

1. Soak in hot water and napisan and wash with non-biological washing powder.

2. Yes my baby is nine weeks old and she is especially fussy around these times -she struggles to feed, thrashes about, arches her back. it does seem to be easing off a bit now as I have been encouraging her to have more naps during the daytime although this is not easy

Sleepyhoglet Tue 20-Jan-15 10:01:49

Oh and we have had lots of poo explosions and dirty clothes! As soon as I hear a squishy squelchy fart we head to change straight away!

lookingforsunshine Tue 20-Jan-15 10:05:59

Often we hear what sounds like a 'squishy squelchy fart', we go to change him straight away, to find there is literally nothing there! Often the worse ones are silent. We smell them rather than hear them. :-).

RiverTam Tue 20-Jan-15 10:07:29

1. Vanish
2. Sounds normal, unless he's screaming his head off in which case colic
3. As much as you can, I was a big believer in fresh air and would take DD out every day unless it was absolutely bucketing it down. Still do, tbh (she's 5)! I never got on with slings so just took her out in the buggy.

TeaandHobnobs Tue 20-Jan-15 10:16:57

lookingforsunshine have a google to see where your nearest sling library is - they will have lots of different types for you to try, and you can hire out the one/ones that suit you best for something like £10 for 2 weeks, usually? Before deciding to spend more money on another sling.
Different slings suit different people, there is a lot on offer. And sometimes it can be that you are not quite adjusting it properly - I got a stretchy wrap with DS, and couldn't figure out why he was so cross in it to start with; after a bit of guidance from the lady at the sling library, I realised I hadn't spread the panels out far enough between his legs/knees! blush He was mega happy in it after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now