Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Dummy and teeth in a nearly 3-year-old

(5 Posts)
purpleapple1234 Mon 19-Jan-15 16:58:27

DH took DD to the dentist today. And only half paid attention to what the dentist said. Apparently the said that she is not biting down properly because her dummy has been pushing the teeth forward.

Has anyone else come across this? Will her teeth go back now that we have thrown away all dummies? Will her adult teeth come out all wonky?

Opipjo Mon 19-Jan-15 20:33:45

This happened with DS2. We took him to the dentist at 2yrs 9 months, last August, and she suggested we ditch the dummy as he was getting an overbite, which we could see aswell.
All absolutely fine now and no overbite smile

KatyN Tue 20-Jan-15 06:36:34

Oh we had that last Wednesday. I understood that his teeth didn't meet in the middle so when he bites down you and squeeze something (dummy sized) through the gap between his top and bottom teeth.

My d's is 3.3 so it's time we ditched the dummy. We're not hurrying because of the dentist, surely their adult teeth will be 'normal' and I'd rather he didn't go for his thumb now.

K

purpleapple1234 Tue 20-Jan-15 16:15:13

opipjo that's reassuring to hear. Surely if the teeth can be pushed by the gentle pressure of a dummy then hopefully they can realign themselves when the dummy is gone. Not enjoying the melt downs though. But we got through one night!

katyN i can see your point and do worry that she'll find her thumb instead. We can't throw that in the bin!

never at a loss for something to worry about

Mrsmorton Tue 20-Jan-15 16:32:25

The teeth sit in the neutral zone between the lips and tongue. If one of these is stronger than the other or not working properly then the teeth will move out or in depending on which.
Even when the adult teeth come through, IMO you have until about 7 before the displacements will not sort themselves out and will require orthodontic intervention.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: