Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

sugar water for a four week old? mum's advice...

(68 Posts)
silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 22:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stars66 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:47:35

No no no no no!!!
Just no.
Babies bodies are not developed enough to process refined sugars.

DropYourSword Sun 18-Jan-15 22:48:07

It's old school advice. It's not dry good advice. Different babies have different appetites. If your baby is hungry, feed her!

GothicRainbow Sun 18-Jan-15 22:49:47

Not a good idea, your baby is hungry for a reason - babies grow at a rate of knots and have tiny little tummies so need feeding ALOT!!

Feed when baby is hungry and things will slowly slot into a little routine(ish!).

BlackandGold Sun 18-Jan-15 22:49:55

Crumbs - that's ancient advice!

Can't you just feed her?

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sun 18-Jan-15 22:51:05

Feed your baby breastmilk or formula when she's hungry. No water, sugar or otherwise, unless it's hot weather. Newborns do feed a lot.

SoonToBeSix Sun 18-Jan-15 22:51:25

Don't give sugar water for hunger but still current advice for constipation.( brown sugar)

eurochick Sun 18-Jan-15 22:51:37

There is no "giving in". It shouldn't be seen as a battle of wills! If a tiny baby cries for food, feed it. They only need milk, nothing else.

anothernumberone Sun 18-Jan-15 22:52:13

Another possibility is an intolerance of the formula you are giving. I think you should speak to HV.

Mydelilah Sun 18-Jan-15 22:54:06

If your baby is hungry you should feed her! And talk to your HV if you are concerned.

Sugar water is a dumb idea, really out of date, along with putting brandy in the bottle to help them sleep....

Mumzy Sun 18-Jan-15 22:54:06

Babies feed like this for the first couple of months it's entirely normal sometimes every half an hour throughout the day and totally exhausting. Just feed your baby when she's hungry. It will settle down around 2-3 months and the feeding frequencies will lessen. Don't take your mums advice about the sugar water

306235388 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:55:01

If she's hungry she needs sustenance not water or sugar.

However, have you considered silent reflux? Sometimes this can make them want to suck for comfort and have the milk but then the reflux starts again. Vicious circle.

Babies do feed ALOT though in terms of frequency - it's just the way it is. Some babies feed every 4 hours like my dd did whilst others like my Ds fed every half an hour or so.

StetsonsAreCool Sun 18-Jan-15 22:56:35

I have a nearly 4wo too. They do just want feeding, all the time. It's ok to keep feeding. If bf, no need for extra water. Not sure about ff , but it doesn't sound like something I'd be happy with either way - they just need the nutrition and calories.

Hakluyt Sun 18-Jan-15 22:56:52

If she's crying for milk, why would you not give her milk?

Blondieminx Sun 18-Jan-15 22:59:33

I believe current NHS advice is to feed babies on demand rather than trying to stick to a schedule. Babies only need milk and giving sugar water could cause an uncomfy tummy for baby.

this Channel 4 News article is about feeding on demand and may be of interest.

Is your baby at one of the classic growth spurt ages of 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months? If so baby is trying to feed more to grow, so milk will be far better for him/her than water...

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 23:05:41

guitarosauras Sun 18-Jan-15 23:07:13

Feeding her isn't 'giving in'. It's giving her what she needs.
She has a tiny tummy.

Big fat no to sugar water. Next you'll be told to give her whiskey to help her sleep.

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 23:07:24

AliceInHinterland Sun 18-Jan-15 23:13:01

Silver it's very tough those early days, don't worry I'm sure no one was suggesting that you want anything but the very best for your baby. Advice has changed and I think our parents' generation do get a bit offended when we don't want to follow all their advice! I remember one of my catch phrases was 'you can't be hungry again*'. They are just gorgeous eating pooing machines at that age. Best of luck with it all.

Hakluyt Sun 18-Jan-15 23:13:34

Silverandblack- you did say in your op that she screams until you "give in to her"- which does suggest that you're not demand feeding.......

Blondieminx Sun 18-Jan-15 23:13:46

Awh silverandblack let me share something with you, that was helpful to me.

"treat all advice as pick and mix - take the bits you like, leave all the rest on the shelf".

Sometimes things come across on the screen far harsher than they were meant. It's clear you want to do the best for your baby and you're seeking advice to do that... I'm sure you're doing a great job! smile

Blondieminx Sun 18-Jan-15 23:17:16

People who are picking apart the OP's phraseology need to remember how it feels to be sleep deprived and worrying about a teeny baby , and to remember a little kindness. People post here for support FFS.

HalfPintPortia Sun 18-Jan-15 23:18:10

You are doing a good job OP. My DS1 would have 4 or 5 ounces, sleep for an hour and have the same again, every night for weeks. (My DM gave us brandy in water instead of gripe water!)

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 23:20:13

Hakluyt Sun 18-Jan-15 23:25:51

When they are little, when in doubt, feed. If that doesn't work, try other things. But always food first!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: