Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

will changing my baby's milk help?

(19 Posts)
silverandblack Sat 17-Jan-15 23:24:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slightlyinsane Sat 17-Jan-15 23:56:16

I've had this with a few of mine. Firstly I tried a different milk, I went onto c&g comfort. If that didn't work I tried colic stuff. They all try to do the same thing but they don't alll work for all babies. I have used infacol, dentinox one and colief. One of these may work for you. Unfortunately there is no quick fix and you have to give them time to work before trying the next thing.
4wks is a tough time anyway as the broken sleep really starts to have an impact on you but add a screaming / unsettled baby and the days just become a blur. Do try and get out for a walk every day to help you stay sane.
Hopefully you'll one of the milk / colic stuffwill work, if it doesn't after a sensible amount of trying go to your gp to talk about reflux and allergies. Good luck

Annarose2014 Sun 18-Jan-15 00:02:43

If she's not bringing up burps easily then you have to try either Infacol or Dentinox. They taste different - Infacol was not popular in this house but Dentinox was great.

If she's burping well but the wind is getting trapped down below, then the first thing is cycling the legs to try to get it out, and tummy massage.

If she has diarrohea and every nappy is dirty and very acidic smelling, talk to the GP as it could be that she can't digest the milk and its just running through her and she needs to go on different milk.

Annarose2014 Sun 18-Jan-15 00:04:31

By the way, sucking eases gastric discomfort in babies as the sucking relex makes the gas pass down the bowel, so that could be why she's drinking so much.

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 00:28:08

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 00:30:08

Bellyrub1980 Sun 18-Jan-15 04:46:07

Mine was the same at that age and she is EBF. I thinks it's more her age than the milk. Unsettled sleep is also very common and normal. I don't think my baby slept silently till around 6 weeks.

PotteringAlong Sun 18-Jan-15 04:53:22

At 4 weeks old I wouldn't expect any hardish poo - they only drink
Liquids so sloppy and yellow is exactly what to expect.

somuchtosortout Sun 18-Jan-15 04:54:29

Aptamil was the only milk that worked for both of mine, and I first tried cow and gate like you.
It s worth a try switching milk, just don't hope for miracles!

squareheadcut Sun 18-Jan-15 04:54:49

Yes my baby was the same in cow and gate formula and some breast feeding abit and it was like she was constipated and crying and unsettled. I didn't change the milk but tried Infacol and c&g comfort but she just grew out if it. Settled at 2-3 months she was fine and happy.

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 06:53:28

Annarose2014 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:57:33

All regular milk is made with the same ingredients by law. So there's damn all difference. Straight swap should be fine.

BUT she shouldn't be having any hard poos. It should be various shades of yellow, sloppy and with seedy bits in. And yes, it destroys clothes. Thats the poo you should be excited about! So if the normal stuff is giving her hard poos, then maybe you need a Comfort milk or something like that but ask the GP what he thinks.

Annarose2014 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:59:11

BTW if it leaks through all nappies then check the nappies aren't too big. Or change brand. Thats not the poos fault, its the nappies fault!

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 19:06:42

silverandblack Sun 18-Jan-15 19:07:15

Bellyrub1980 Mon 19-Jan-15 09:17:32

You'll find that things do improve and change quite quickly in the first few months. It's difficult not to get too caught up in every new symptom (infact I found it impossible!) but if I could go back and do it again I would really try and not over analyse things and just take each day at a time.

silverandblack Mon 19-Jan-15 19:48:51

Bellyrub1980 Mon 19-Jan-15 20:24:18

Absolutely, her gut and bowel have never worked before and her body is just learning what to do. My baby vomited after half of her feeds for the first 6-8 weeks, but one day it just stopped. I believe her gut just matured enough to cope with holding milk down. It also coincided with her learning to burp more easily! (I also switched to dairy free around the same which might have helped too....)

silverandblack Mon 19-Jan-15 20:33:08

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: