Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

feel like I'm suffocating my dd in her sling!

(8 Posts)
silverandblack Sat 17-Jan-15 20:41:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ButtfaceMiscreant Sat 17-Jan-15 21:17:24

I've not tried that brand, but do use my close caboo (DD now 12mo), which sounds similar (fabric ring sling). When I put it on, I make sure there is about 10cm between me and the fabric if I put my hands between it and stretch (does that make sense?), and then slip DD in, making sure her legs are in the frog position etc.

Make sure her face is never covered by the fabric, and she shouldn't need her snow suit on in the sling, just a cot or thin fleece and a hat and booties, if her feet are out. Your body temp will rise a bit with the exertion of wearing your baby out and about, and you don't want baby to overhear.

Have a look on YouTube of people using your brand of sling, and you should get some tips.

jessplussomeonenew Sat 17-Jan-15 21:53:22

Is there a sling meet you could go to for first hand advice? It's easy for them to overheat in a sling because of the warmth of your body so I'd not use the snow suit outside - go for layers, ideally ones that provide extra warmth for bits outside the sling (warm socks, hat etc) and which you can take on and off easily to adjust temperature.

GoogleyEyes Sat 17-Jan-15 21:57:31

Guidelines for safe sling use here/

Basically, you want the sling high and tight, with her face close enough to kiss.

If you find your nearest sling meet or sling library they will help, too.

As pp said, she will be too hot in a snow suit - hat and your coat or a blanket over the top of the sling will be fine outside as you share body heat.

silverandblack Sat 17-Jan-15 23:27:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tobysmum77 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:11:56

maybe you would be happier with a different sling? Personally I didn't particularly get on with the wrap types.

squizita Sun 18-Jan-15 11:38:06

I find buckles and mei tai better for exactly this reason! Find a sling meet and experiment. grin

Btw my caboo WAS safe but it always felt odd. 8am sure if you follow the safety guidelines it is fine ... but for comfort a different type might suit you.

geekaMaxima Sun 18-Jan-15 11:53:54

YY to getting rid of the snowsuit. Your should always dress a baby more lightly in a sling than they would be dressed if they were in a pram - your body heat is the equivalent of a snowsuit already!

Head position in a tiny baby is often with face against chest, at your upper breastbone. Most babies breathe just fine this way as their flattened noses let air in on the side. Other babies turn their head sideways, which is also fine. Just make sure the head isn't nodding forward - straight or tipped back a little is best.

Babies are usually fairly snug in a sling btw - I was surprised at first by how snug! - and they're safer when held securely. A sling meet is great for getting help with this aspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now