Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

2 year old ds getting into our bed at night...

(8 Posts)
wibblyjelly Fri 16-Jan-15 12:58:38

We have had to put 2 year old ds into a bed last week, as he was climbing out of the cot and rapidly outgrowing itgrin
Bed time is fine, and he goes to sleep in his bed. However, anytime from midnight till 3 am, he comes into our room and climbs into bed with us. It doesn't really interrupt our sleep.
I figure my choices are as follows
1-if he gets into our bed, he can stay there.
2-wait for a short time to get him more used to the bed, and then start putting him back in his bed when he comes in
3-Do option 2, but start it now.
What's your opinons? Thanks!

stressbucket1 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:41:11

If you don't want him sleeping in your bed long term I would put a baby gate on his door otherwise start putting him back in his bed now.
The longer you let him into your bed the harder it will be for him to get used to his own.
speaking from experience with my 3yo we let her into our bed for a couple of nights then she thought it was ok to do all the time spent most nights trotting about the landing until we put a baby gate on her door!

wibblyjelly Fri 16-Jan-15 16:36:35

Thanks Stress, definitely don't want it as a long term thing smile

Artandco Fri 16-Jan-15 16:39:41

Personally I would just leave it tbh

He settles good in eve and sleeps half the night alone so you also have bed alone then with dh. Then after he joins for comfort and sleeps well

wibblyjelly Fri 16-Jan-15 20:16:44

I think I'll get him a bit used to the bed, and next time I have some days off from work, will tackle it thensmile

MrsDiesel Fri 16-Jan-15 20:20:42

Ds co slept with me for the first 2 years despite having his own bed. Now he only gets in if he wakes up and is cold during the night.

Could your ds be cold? If that's not the case and you don't want him to continue, just pop him back into his own bed once he nods off.

wibblyjelly Fri 16-Jan-15 21:20:29

Don't think he's cold, he just likes being in our bed smile

ChatEnOeuf Sat 17-Jan-15 14:01:28

DD does this, she's 3. I love it smile If you don't mind it, let it go. If you don't like it, try and nip it in the bud reasonably soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: