Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What is the best thing you bought for your baby?

(206 Posts)
dadtobe19 Thu 15-Jan-15 19:29:26

Wife is expecting our first baby in 2 weeks and we have bought everything we need.

We are interested to know if there is any one thing in particular you bought that helped you through those first few months? Anything special that kept the baby amused/helped out you?

moggle Thu 15-Jan-15 19:33:13

I can think of two (sorry!):
Baby bjorn bouncer chair.
A mirror for the rear car seat so you can see baby's face while driving.

dadtobe19 Thu 15-Jan-15 19:33:56

2 is great! The more the better!!

Ah really we have never thought or seen the car mirror! Will need to check it out thanks

moggle Thu 15-Jan-15 19:34:48

One more : Amazon prime membership! Get a months free trial after the birth. Next day delivery of virtually everything you've forgotten / didn't know you'd need, and streaming movies and box sets too.

DefiniteMaybe Thu 15-Jan-15 19:35:12

With dc1 it was his dummy
dc2 a moby wrap sling
dc3 her dummy and the sling.

LikeSilver Thu 15-Jan-15 19:35:23

DD loved, really loved, her Tummy Tub. It's really just an overpriced bucket, but it never failed to calm her.

weegiemum Thu 15-Jan-15 19:36:39

Washable nappies.
Bush baby backpack.
Bumbo seat (dc3)

Binglet Thu 15-Jan-15 19:36:47

We absolutely loved out baby star blanket. Perfect for winter babies. Google tuppence and crumble. Better than all those millions of bloody snow suits you get given.

mewkins Thu 15-Jan-15 19:36:57

Snoozee shade for the buggy is really useful. Will be using that for a few years. Sheepskin liner for carseat/buggy. And clip on toys for the carseat.

FoxyMcFox Thu 15-Jan-15 19:37:23

Shaped sponge mat for the baby to lie on in the bath. We didnt have a baby bath so just plonked this in the bath. Brilliant.

MadameJosephine Thu 15-Jan-15 19:38:22

I've got 2 too, can't narrow it down.

Babybay cot - attachs to your bed so I didn't have to get up during the night
Widgey breastfeeding pillow - best tenner I ever spent

FoxyMcFox Thu 15-Jan-15 19:39:03

This

Ineedacleaningfairy Thu 15-Jan-15 19:39:18

A moby sling and a moving cot mobile. These 2 inventions are the only way I get anything done!

Best of luck and congratulations smile

Blanketontheground Thu 15-Jan-15 19:39:22

Diamond earrings.

ohlittlepea Thu 15-Jan-15 19:39:44

The slings smile we had a caboo for her as a newborn and have moved on to an ergo now she's bigger. Priceless to be able to get things done while having your lovely baby where they are happiest next to you smile

Wishing you all the best with your new little one smile

MadameJosephine Thu 15-Jan-15 19:40:18

Oh and a box set of ER to watch while cluster feeding grin

rockinrobintweet Thu 15-Jan-15 19:41:51

play gym
singing night light
scratch mits and sleep hats
v pillow to support dd when bfing

Allstoppedup Thu 15-Jan-15 19:42:54

Our slings!

We had a stretchy, moved on to a ring sling and now have a woven. I honestly would have been lost without them especially when DS was a tiny refluxey menace who refused to be lay down.

Oh, and muslins...lots of muslins!

Congratulations and good luck with your new squish! - )-not at all jealous-- envy wink

sleepingdragon Thu 15-Jan-15 19:44:56

For my DS the 3 best things have been the sling, the video monitor, and the mobile. The mobile has flashing lights and some toys that dangle and go in a circle. From about 6 weeks until now at 7 months there has not been a time when DS is not entranced by it. I can shower or get his bath ready etc and he stays very happy. He is also very happy watching it in the morning while practising rolling or trying to crawl while I have 30 mins of snoozing in bed, which is a complete luxury.

Enormouse Thu 15-Jan-15 19:46:25

The jumperoo. Not useful straight away but worth every penny at around 6 months. I wish I had bought it when I had DS1.

Enormouse Thu 15-Jan-15 19:47:58

Oh and the free white noise app I downloaded for my kindle.

NotChimpandZeeagain Thu 15-Jan-15 19:50:01

A hand knitted blanket that never failed to calm ds1 from hospital onwards - skin to skin under grandma's shawl really calmed him. Ds2 would only sleep with his cheek on knitted fabric too. Don't know why, but it worked like Magic!

AndHarry Thu 15-Jan-15 19:50:56

A car seat cosy wrap (you can get different designs). This saves taking layers on and off a sleeping baby as you go from house-car-shop-restaurant etc. and doesn't go between the baby and the harness so it's much safer than a snow suit.

Agree x lots with a proper sling. I had a Close Caboo and then an Ergo, but have also used a ring sling for around the house and found it absolutely brilliant for keeping a baby happy and snug while I got things done.

Madratlady Thu 15-Jan-15 19:51:23

A decent sling is worth it's weight in gold. A close caboo or Moby wrap or similar stretchy wrap is a great starter.

dietcokeisgreat Thu 15-Jan-15 19:51:28

Large muslins
Ergo sling ( tried mothercare one but back almost broke..)

Not immediate but...
Bumbo seat ( amazing)
Door jumper thing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: