Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Nursery at 7 months?

(11 Posts)
Tallblue Thu 15-Jan-15 16:25:59

Prior to my DD arriving I worked full time in a demanding senior management position. I live overseas and due to the very short maternity leave available here, I resigned from my job. I've found the transition to SAHM quite challenging, at the same time feel guilty that I 'should' be enjoying it and have an opportunity to do this, which many people do not. I have a potential job opportunity starting when DD will be 7 months old. Maybe 2 days per week and some work from home. Very flexible, ideal opportunity in my career field, especially in the country where I live, where part time/flexible working is rare. I don't have to work from a financial perspective. I am considering taking the opportunity but feel bad about putting DD in nursery at such a young age. I guess what I am looking for are experiences from others who have done the same thing, out of choice rather than necessity, would love to hear whether it worked out well or not...

UrchinMadeOfAcne Thu 15-Jan-15 16:29:34

I chose to go back to work PT when DS was 9 months (he is 2.3 years old now).

I needed to go back to work for my own sanity.

The relationship I have with my DS is more relaxed and loving because I work 3 days a week, and do not get stressed out with having to be mum 24/7

He is a happy, healthy little boy and I do not regret going back to work. I think I would have been very unhappy being a full time SAHM.

Do what is best for your own mental health, happy mum=happy baby IMO.

mrsmugoo Thu 15-Jan-15 16:32:27

I am self employed so a year off work was never on the cards for me.

I returned back in November and DS was 7.5 months. He does 2 days in nursery and one day with grandparents per week.

Up until a week before he started nursery he was being breastfed and was still refusing all bottles and cups and still only took a few mouthfuls of solids each meal - I was bricking it!

But literally a week before he started I finally cracked milk from a sippy cup and sent him in with his cup and some formula.

He absolutely loves nursery - is already bonded with his key worker. Sleeps and eats great there and I am so glad he started at that young age - the nursery have said the earlier starters tend to settle in better as they still don't really have separation anxiety.

NormHonal Thu 15-Jan-15 16:35:15

I went back to work when my DC1 was 6mo and could have taken longer maternity leave, but it was a combination of trying to show willing to save my job (ultimately failed but never mind!) and also, saving my sanity.

My baby adapted very well at that age, and that was doing 4 days per week at nursery. My DC2 started a bit later but also settled in fine.

It's up to you, of course, but the opportunity sounds amazing and only two days a week is brilliant.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Thu 15-Jan-15 16:38:24

My eldest went to nursery at 7mths, full time. He loved it.

My youngest went at 13mths part time. He loved it.

Both children have continues to thrive throughout primary school.

I think it helped that we were very confident we'd found the right nursery and the owner/manager had a very similar mind set to us.

Blankiefan Thu 15-Jan-15 18:28:21

I'm a senior manager and found maternity leave very challenging. I went back to work at six months very happily.

I started dd settling into nursery at 4 months, just a few half days a week at first and built up from there. I did this for my own sanity in all honesty but it did allow a nice gradual transition for her into nursery. She's been ft in nursery from about 8 months and is 15 mo now and loves nursery. She's developed loads since going there and is very happy there.

chickydoo Thu 15-Jan-15 18:34:32

I went back PT when DS was 4 months old. He was at nursery just 2 mornings a week to start. It was hideous. Breast feeding in the car before I dropped him off, breast fed in the car the moment I collected him. Did this for 4 months, after that he was at nursery 4 mornings a week. It was grim.

BackforGood Thu 15-Jan-15 18:49:47

Sounds perfect. Not easy to find challenging / rewarding work with such great conditions.
I wouldn't hesitate, but then, I'm from an era when we only got 3 months maternity leave, and you know, all our dc survived.

Gen35 Fri 16-Jan-15 12:21:04

I wouldn't think twice, dc1 was at nursery 2 days per week at 3 months and then ft at 10 months, dc2 will likely be 4 days a week in childcare from 5 months, I admire sahp (honestly, beats me why childcare pays so badly, doing it well is exhausting) and I am very grateful that I don't have to SAH as it's worth my while to keep working. Just make sure the childcare you have is good quality.

Littlef00t Sat 17-Jan-15 19:59:07

Sounds like you'd be hard pushed to find a comparable role in the future, in which case your family will suffer in the long term if you don't take this now.

Member345787 Tue 20-Jan-15 21:39:34

Financially I had to go back to work 7 months after DD born as she was a (very welcome) surprise after DS.

But I realised after DS that I needed to get back to work for my own sanity and find that I enjoy my three days working, and really enjoy my two days off with the children. I'm obviously not cut out for 24/7 parenting, and I don't feel guilty about this - quality time rather than quantity.

Plus our nursery is brilliant, and does things with the children that I wouldn't think/couldn't stand to do with them e.g. playing with cooked spaghetti, squirty shaving foam, painting with their feet etc. And they get to mix with other children and learn social skills (plus exposure to all those bugs to build up their immunity). What's not to like?!?!?!?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: