Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

23 month olds speech

(8 Posts)
Newstartnewyear Wed 14-Jan-15 21:49:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ROARmeow Thu 15-Jan-15 09:04:10

I have 2 DC. At 23 months my DC1 was talking in full sentences, could understand everything. At the same age DC2 had about 10 words, could only link 2 words sometimes, although had great understanding.

I always found this Talking Point website really useful, as it broke it down into ages and stages. Have a look OP, and if you're worried about your DC then contact your HV or GP and ask for advice or a referral to Speech Therapy.

AnnaD25 Thu 15-Jan-15 10:36:21

My son didn't say any words until he turned two, My daughter on the other hand was saying single words at 1. All kids are different and this dose not mean your child is behind so try not to worry.

I took my son to the doctors and a to see his HV who said he's fine.

He has just turned 3 in December and he is talking wonderfully, A year can make so much difference.

If you haven't already tried this, this is what I done to help my son and I noticed the progress in a few weeks.

I brought flash cards with pictures on them. easy to say ones like dog cat etc..
I would show him and say dog and then ask him what it is, I did that every morning evening and just before bed. By two and a hard he was putting 3 to 4 words together. Also reading helps. do not worry about the storey use the pictures and make up the storey. ask your Ds what will happen next dosnt matter if he doesn't reply, he is still taking it all in. X

Xmasbaby11 Thu 15-Jan-15 10:43:11

At 23 months dd could understand a lot and speak in sentences, although she missed out some little words like the, on, me, etc. I think this was considered very good by hv, but not remarkable. Most of her friends were the same.

HV should be able to recommend speech therapy if necessary. They are hot on it where we live and I think your ds would be encouraged to have it.

jeee Thu 15-Jan-15 10:54:41

Definitely worth speaking to the HV about. But in our area you can't be referred to speech therapy until the child is 2.6. So you may well fall into the 'wait and see' category.

Just ignore everyone who tells you that their child spoke early, 'but of course, we speak to them all the time.' I'm sure that the fact that I locked my children in the cupboard under the stairs a la Harry Potter didn't affect their speech at all grin.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Thu 15-Jan-15 11:00:14

Speak to HV. But don't worry too much yet. DS was very limited at 2 but at 2.5 he basically started having conversations with us overnight. He went from odd little words to 3, 4, & 5 word sentences overnight.

My mom was shocked - she visits weekly. So she been and he'd just said "hi", "nanny" and "bye" whilst she was here. The next week he answered the door with "hi nanny. Nice to see you. Come on in. Go to the lounge." Had various other little conversations with her whilst she was here then when she was leaving "bye bye nanny. See you soon. Miss you." All very clearly spoken too. Rather an unbelievable change for a week.

The important part is the understanding - if they understand well they will normally start talking properly in their own time.

Newstartnewyear Thu 15-Jan-15 22:33:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

olivesnutsandcheese Fri 16-Jan-15 07:50:06

DS said v little at 23 months. However now at 28 months his vocabulary has increased immeasurably and he links 3 to 5 words happily. I agree with other posters that they do it in their own time. The key is in understanding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: