Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Help me to stop worrying and obsessing!

(6 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheRockShow Wed 14-Jan-15 14:03:22

DD was premature, and growth restricted, born weighting 3lb 15 at 35 weeks. She gained weight rapidly and is now following the 25th centile for adjusted age. She has been EBF since she was a week old, and now weaning having mix of purees and finger foods. Since day one I've kept track of all nappies, feeds and sleeps on the sprout app on my iPad.
Since we started weaning I've been worrying she isn't having enough in the way of breastfeeds - she has a feed on first waking, then porridge after a short nap then nothing till lunch time really. Having about 6 breastfeeds in 24 hours but mostly evening and overnight.
I asked the peer supporter at baby cafe today about how much she should be having and was basically told to stop tracking, to follow DDs cues and go with the flow. I do not trust my instincts at all. Basically my go to thing when DD is crying is to try to feed, which sometimes solves the problem and sometimes makes her more angry. If it's been 3 hours since last food and she won't eat I get stressed which makes her stressed!
I need a kick up the backside. I need to delete the app don't i?

Millie3030 Wed 14-Jan-15 20:34:00

It depends, if you are a bit of a control freak (I am) and it makes you feel calmer, keep it. But it sounds like it's not making you calmer but making you worry more.

If you are weaning you LO must be around 6 months? I understand she was premature but if she has made it this far I'm sure she will be fine. Just think this time next year she will be wolfing down a shepherds pie and eating yogurts and bananas etc. so try not to worry too much, and you have done well to breastfeed this long and she is on the 25th centile. I'm sure she is perfect and you just need to chill out a bit.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Thu 15-Jan-15 00:10:37

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, DD is 6 months old. To start with, recording everything was helpful to me. I could see she was feeding/sleeping/pooping enough. I was also trying to see if a pattern emerged to base a routine on - didn't happen. Since weaning though I get stressed she isn't BF enough. Seeing the lack of feeds recorded, or only 2-3 minute feeds worrys me,
I have deleted the app - hoping by not seeing anything written down I will stop worrying. If I worry more I can always download it again! .

ch1134 Thu 15-Jan-15 07:00:00

Good work deleting the app! She sounds fine, and probably takes more than my son did at that age.

rememberingnothing Thu 15-Jan-15 07:19:30

Your baby will breast feed much faster as they get bigger. They become much more efficient at extracting what they want. So a 2-3 minute feed is OK. They'll also adjust the feed type to deal with thirst v hunger.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Thu 15-Jan-15 08:40:42

remembering thank you! That is just what I needed to hear! DD has always been a quick feeder - 20 minutes was her longest even as a newborn. I just though 2-3 minutes was TOO quick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now