Talk

Advanced search

WWYD DD doesn't want to go back to her new ballet class

(6 Posts)
curlyhairedmummy Sun 11-Jan-15 21:57:13

Looking for advice. DD's regular ballet class has unfortunately been cancelled. We managed to get her into a new class but it's the next age group up. She had her first class today and immediately said she doesn't want to go back next week when she came out after class. I'm not sure what to do. If she had said she no longer liked ballet then I would accept that but her reason was that she found the new class hard. I don't want to make her do a class she is unhappy with but at the same time I don't want her to think she can just give up whenever she finds something a bit hard. I've tried to encourage her by saying she should try one more class as it may be better next week but she now seems really anxious about it. She's a bit of a worrier and needed a lot of reassurance before she could get to sleep tonight. Should I send her back next week?

Singleandproud Sun 11-Jan-15 21:59:33

I would suggest she do it till half term/ Easter by that time she might have made some friends and picked up the harder syllabus.
Could you pay for a couple of private lessons so she can catch up?

curlyhairedmummy Sun 11-Jan-15 22:12:13

Thanks singleandproud. She does have friends in the new group as some of the other girls from cancelled class transferred with her. Sorry forgot to put that in my post. I' leaning towards not bringing it just before next week's class and encouraging her to go then as she has been fretting about it this afternoon. My husband doesn't like the idea of forcing her to go though. Hopefully by next week she'll be feeling a bit better about it and I can convince her to give it another try

mamadoc Sun 11-Jan-15 22:22:38

I let my DD give up under very similar circumstances.
She had done it for 3 years and enjoyed it but really disliked her new teacher and class (think it was more serious and less fun)

I also felt bad about her not trying a bit more but she was really upset and crying and I just thought life was too short for that over something that was supposed to be fun. I mean let's face it she was not ever going to be a ballerina the point was fun and if it's not fun then we should stop.

I found her a more local, general dance rather than straight ballet class which he is still doing 2 years later and still enjoying

42bunnytails Sun 11-Jan-15 22:29:31

Second week of the darkest most miserable term of the year is not the time for decisions.

I'd encourage her to try a couple more weeks.

curlyhairedmummy Sun 11-Jan-15 22:45:25

Thanks for your replies. Dh and I have been talking about it. I'm not going to mention it for a couple of days and try again later in the week. I want to be encouraging as she's really been enjoying ballet up to now and still says she likes it but thinks she'll never get the hang of the new class. We're going to take her to a few more classes as she hasn't said she hates it or that she doesn't like the teacher just that the new class is hard. If she really doesn't like it in a couple of weeks then I think we'll stop going because I want her to be doing something she enjoys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now