Talk

Advanced search

Martial arts classes for a 4yo?

(9 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Sun 11-Jan-15 20:47:58

Ds is extremely physical but has absolutely no interest in football. He pretend fights with everything - in role play, when out for a walk he'll pick up sticks to sword fight, wrestle whenever possible etc. All very normal i know. But we always seem to be telling him to stop, especially in the house at this time of year! It's something he clearly enjoys doing but we'd like him to be able to channel his physicality and understand more about control and when/ how it's appropriate to use it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a martial art that could be good for a 4 yo? We'd initially like to let him watch a class to see if he shows any interest before letting him do one, so we don't want to be pushy about it. We just think it could be a good outlet for his energy - basically we want to be able to say "ok, for 30-60 mins a week you are allowed to do this". Thanks for your help!

QueenVick Sun 11-Jan-15 20:55:17

My DDs 5 & 7, do kickboxing. They too like pretend fight around the house grin. It is a really good, all round martial art (DH and I do kickboxing as well)
The place we go to though we're not able to have children younger than 5 in a class due to insurance reasons. I'm not sure if this is the same at others though do you could still ask around. They do a Mini Ninja class at ours fir 5-8 year olds and while they learn the art of kickboxing and can grade they do it in more of a learning by play sort of way. Not to say it isn't hard work, it can be for them, especially if grading.

On a side note the kickboxing has really helped with DD1s anxiety and self esteem issues which is a massive positive for her smile

QueenVick Sun 11-Jan-15 20:56:34

were not we're blush

lemisscared Sun 11-Jan-15 21:00:22

My DD does shotokan karate - she is 9, i think her instructor's lower age limit is 5. It really depends on the child's attention span and whether they would benefit. Martial arts are about discipline and control, not so much about fighting, although they do spar, the focus is on the "Katas" - so a bit like a dance really. My DD has zero interesting in fighting and is doing extremely well at karate. If my child was a "fighter" i don't think i'd be considering a martial art.

youbethemummylion Sun 11-Jan-15 21:00:40

Some places will let them start at 4 whether it be karate, tae kwon do etc but most say 5 for insurance purposes. DS was exactly the same at that age so between 3 - 5 we took him to gymnastics and told him it was to learn to jump and roll like a Power Ranger then at 5 he started Karate.

DanyStormborn Sun 11-Jan-15 22:25:12

When I did taekwondo there was a 4 year old in the class. He picked it up quickly and generally kept up with the class.

Indantherene Sun 11-Jan-15 23:13:16

Our karate classes also have a lower age of 5, and TBH very few 5 yos stick it out. They tend to drift off at 5 and come back at 7 more able and willing to join in.

I second a pp suggestion of gymnastics, or something equally physical.

LittleLionMansMummy Mon 09-Feb-15 18:13:17

Thanks for your replies everyone. Just an update - we've enrolled ds in Taekwondo classes which he absolutely loves. The place we take him is properly geared towards young children so his classes are a mixture of gym/ games and learning the kicks. He's in a 3-4 yo class and will move up when he's 5 if he still enjoys it. I'm really pleased with our choice which I think will help with his listening skills too. And he's beginning to understand that he's only allowed to kick when he has his special clothes on and other participants are willing.

bobbybob21 Sat 18-Feb-17 16:07:29

Just to let Mums know that we run a Marshal Arts Class on a Thursday from4-30 th 5-30 and a Saturday class from 9-30 to 10-30 then 10-30 till 11-30. Our starting age is 4years up to 16years old. Its a MarshalArts called JKD .The price is £7 per class paid on the day and we offer the first class free. Come along and see what we do any more information please ring Alex on 07721418714 or Sandra on 07511591252 and we will be happy to answer any questions. We are Little Dragons in Space next door to Hackney College in Flakirk Street just off of Kingsland Rd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now