Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does your 1 year old drink cows milk?

(12 Posts)
blondebaby111 Sun 11-Jan-15 20:04:59

It's not going too well, over the past few days I've tried introducing cows milk as a drink, she still has either a late morning it mid afternoon bottle so have tried it then as it's only 3/4 oz.
First day was t sure, she had a few sips and then wouldn't take anymore. Second day wasn't much better, today it was full on screaming! Pushing bottle away Etc. So I made some formula up just in case she simply just doesn't want milk during the day just to make sure and little monkey squeezed the teat so some milk came out, tested it on her fingers to make sure then drank the lot . Does it matter if I keep her on formula or would you just keep trying??

She does have cows milk with her cereal though, no problem there shock

dementedpixie Sun 11-Jan-15 20:20:57

Try mixing it and slowly make it more and more cows milk e.g. 1oz cows then 2 oz, etc

Littlef00t Sun 11-Jan-15 20:23:37

It's a choice rather than a requirement. You could introduce slowly, or just hold off and see if happy to drink it in a few weeks/months.

NickyEds Sun 11-Jan-15 21:32:41

I think that it's up to you isn't it? I think most people make the switch to cows milk as it's more convenient. If you want to switch I'd try doing as pp said, leave it a couple of weeks then mix it in gradually. I don't think formula would do her any harm though.

QueenofKelsingra Sun 11-Jan-15 21:54:36

formula wont hurt anything but your wallet!

I second the advice to mix formula and cows together - starting with 1oz to 3 or 4oz and gradually increasing it until you've weaned her onto 100% cows milk.

DanyStormborn Sun 11-Jan-15 22:08:48

The only thing sticking with formula will hurt is your wallet and it takes time to mix up unlike cows milk. Mixing gradually sounds like a good plan.

museumum Sun 11-Jan-15 22:10:31

We introduced cows milk in a cup not a bottle.

Galvanized Sun 11-Jan-15 22:17:00

We did cow's milk in sippy cup but dd wasnt keen. We upped the amount of yoghurt, milk in food like cereal/porridge, cheese. Never worried that she wasnt drinking much milk, she took to it eventually, but still only drinks a little a day! Prefers water.

Jackanory1978 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:36:37

I stopped BF at 12 months & ds refused cows milk, so for the next 7 months he only drank water. He had cows milk on his cereal & lots of yoghurt/cheese etc & I really wasn't worried. Then at 19 months old he suddenly started drinking it from a sippy cup.

PurpleStripedSock Sun 11-Jan-15 22:39:27

Can't advise re the formula switch to cows milk but my EBF one year old took to cows milk in a cup (she never had bottles).

Maybe try a sippy cup so she sees the cows milk as something exteZ or 'other' rather than a replacement for the formula.

Good luck.

PurpleStripedSock Sun 11-Jan-15 22:40:20

*exteZ = extra

blondebaby111 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:43:58

She hasn't took to a sippy cup yet either, prefers a bottle which I'm working on. She loves her milk (formula) but I've just managed to drop a bottle so she's on 3 a day and working on dropping the next one too. But she's cutting 4 teeth at the front and getting just generally fussy all together so could be teething. I'll give it a try in a few weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now