Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Anybody made their own wipes?

(24 Posts)
Discopanda Sun 11-Jan-15 17:19:28

DD2 is due in April and I'm considering making my own reusable baby wipes out of fabric because we managed to get through at least a pack a week when DD1 was young. Has anyone tried doing this and is the extra effort worth it?

DeladionInch Sun 11-Jan-15 17:29:48

I've been using poundshop microfibre flannels for nearly 2 years now and they're fab. Just bung them in with the nappy wash smile

Fleece gets a bit smeary of poo apparently. An old towel is good but will shed for weeks unless you overlock very thoroughly.

Reckon I've saved a quid a week minimum over one baby. So worth it to me!

ch1134 Sun 11-Jan-15 19:52:07

Yes it's worth it, but as baby gets older and poos get nastier we switched to normal wipes (which can be washed and reused too actually!), and use the reusables for mealtimes.
Just cut a flannel in half/ quarters. I used camomile tea, but there are loads of other 'recipes' online. Just google it.

callamia Sun 11-Jan-15 19:53:48

I just shove the regular wipes in the wash with the nappies. We can bin the really stinky ones, but the wet ones come out great and entirely reusable for ages. You can see why they clog up sewer systems.

sofatastic Sun 11-Jan-15 19:55:22

Yes. For bottoms I like velour one side and bamboo the other. For faces fleece and bamboo worked best. Don't feel constrained by the sizes and shapes of disposable wipes either.

BikeRunSki Sun 11-Jan-15 19:56:54

I just used those multipacks of flannels from Ikea.

DeladionInch Sun 11-Jan-15 19:58:26

i have ikea ones for faces and they're stained and ragged sad

pookamoo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:01:52

Chopped up a fleece blanket. We always used then wet, no smearing. SO useful! DD1 is now 6 and they are still going strong. I use them for everything. When the toddlers were out of nappies, still used them for pooey bottoms, and had a small bucket with a lid in the bathroom to pop them in until washed.

McFox Sun 11-Jan-15 20:09:39

I use ikea flannels soaked in camomile tea with a squirt of baby wash and almond oil, plus a couple of drops of lavender oil. Does a great job and smells lovely.

Iggly Sun 11-Jan-15 20:10:56

At home we used flannels - bought a few packets. Much better than wipes.

I had wipes for when out.

poocatcherchampion Sun 11-Jan-15 20:13:51

I just cut up some flannel PJs and some terries. Use the terries for poo as they have a bIt of grip and use the flannel for a wee and a post-poo polish. I sometimes use them for my wees too if I am downstairs.

Nothing has frayed.

Littlef00t Mon 12-Jan-15 08:57:37

See cheeky wipe website for inspiration. Easily replicable.

BlueChampagne Mon 12-Jan-15 13:42:14

Agree with callamia

MrsMarigold Mon 12-Jan-15 13:45:34

cotton wool? I've hear things about storing flannels in tea-tree oil but was to squeamish to try.

ispyfispi Mon 12-Jan-15 14:20:00

Yes, I cut up old flannel sheets and towels etc....also ikea flannels and fleece blanket. I have more than I'll ever need for hardly any money and while some of the 'recipes' sound lovely I don't think you can beat warm water!

poocatcherchampion Mon 12-Jan-15 17:58:36

Yes I used to buy cjs spray but for about a year now I've just used water. Changing mats are near the basins or I normally have a drink with me if we are really in the middle of nowhere. Like the car boot. smile

sunflowered Tue 13-Jan-15 07:36:24

Definitely worth it - I was lazy and bought some reusable wipes rather than making them but it's save us many times what we spent just in the first year. I put a day's supply in a tupperware and pour over some water with a couple of drops of lavender oil in - there are a few recipes online (think I got mine from the nappy lady's website)

AuntieMaggie Tue 13-Jan-15 07:47:52

What do you use to store wipes/flannels etc especially if out and about?

I think wet wipes are too slippy so I tend to use cotton wool except when out and about

MinceSpy Tue 13-Jan-15 07:48:50

I'm curious does the cost of almond oil, tea tree oil, baby wash and the costs of laundering versus ready made wipes actually represent a saving?

DeladionInch Tue 13-Jan-15 08:06:45

i store in a ziplock freezer bag. and use 1 drop of lavender oil

McFox Tue 13-Jan-15 09:23:04

For me it's not about saving money, it's about not putting stuff that I wouldn't wash my floors with on my baby's skin. I use everything that I make the wipes with in other capacities anyway, as cleanser etc, so I'm not spending anymore anyway.

AuntieMaggie Tue 13-Jan-15 09:42:35

McFox I would wash my floor with baby wipes but because they are better than some chemical cleaners I don't like using them on my baby's skin besides I know what they do to my skin when I do use them myself!

McFox Tue 13-Jan-15 09:55:13

Maybe I am being too kind to my floors smile I make all the toiletries and cleaning solutions we use, that way we know exactly what's in them.

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 13-Jan-15 10:04:20

Poundland baby flannels here too. PLus some chopped up old terries, some normal flannels, some fleece. Most things I could get my hands on really. ANy old bit of cloth and water will work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now