Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with baby when you go for an appointment?

(27 Posts)
OrangesJuicyOranges Fri 09-Jan-15 18:38:48

I am having a csection next week so I know when baby is coming. I have an appointment at hospital to have a lump removed three weeks later. I don't want to rearrange the appointment as I got in with a cancellation Bd the next one won't be til April. The lump keeps bleeding and it needs removing.

The lump will be cut out with local anaesthetic.

So - do people take babies to appointments or do I need to arrange childcare? I hate to leave a three week old baby but I don't know what the 'done' thing is.

seaoflove Fri 09-Jan-15 18:41:28

If it's a consultation I would have no qualms about bringing the baby. If it's a procedure (minor surgery in your case) I wouldn't.

Would it be possible for your partner to take the day off work and either look after the baby at home, or come to the hospital with you and look after the baby outside?

Leviticus Fri 09-Jan-15 18:41:49

Can you get someone to come with you and look after the baby in the waiting room for you?

A new baby in a pram or car seat will hopefully sleep through your appointment anyway.

PotteringAlong Fri 09-Jan-15 18:42:02

If you're having a lump cut out with local anaesthetic you will need someone with you to hold / look after the baby. I would take them with me but have someone else there.

I would imagine 2 weeks post section you will need help anyway.

PragmaticWench Fri 09-Jan-15 18:42:31

It'll probably depend on how you're feeding the baby, how long you'll be gone for including travel time and how you feel about leaving your baby.

It might be an idea to arrange for someone to come with you and the baby to your appointment. They could look after the baby whilst you have the lump removed but you can still feed etc. if you need to.

tshirtsuntan Fri 09-Jan-15 18:42:46

Could you take a friend/family member with you? I had the same sort of situation and my friend waited for me with baby in the waiting room. I suppose it depends where the lump is, do you think you'll be able to manage getting you both home afterwards?

PotteringAlong Fri 09-Jan-15 18:42:52

Sorry, just seen it's 3 weeks. But even so I wouldn't go just the 2 of you.

PragmaticWench Fri 09-Jan-15 18:43:58

Cross posts! After a section you'll need to be driven anyway, by taxi or friend/family.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 09-Jan-15 19:29:27

Normal appointments, for example I had weekly physio after DD was born until she was 8 months old, I just take DD with me on my own. However your lump removal sounds like you might need someone to go along with you anyway. I would take the baby and someone else who can hold baby/drive you home etc.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 09-Jan-15 19:31:43

Can your OH mind the baby? Or a relative?

SoonToBeSix Fri 09-Jan-15 19:33:53

Unless you are a single parent it is the babies father responsibility to look after the baby.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Fri 09-Jan-15 19:46:18

I had a minor inpatient thing when DS was about 3 weeks, took him and DH which was fine. DH looked after him when needed and they found me a private room to BF in while waiting around.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 09-Jan-15 19:46:31

SoonToBe sometimes they can't take any time off work... My DH definitely couldn't take every Wednesday afternoon off for 8 months while I went to physio.

perfectlybroken Fri 09-Jan-15 19:55:43

Take someone with you who can watch the baby while you have it done.

poocatcherchampion Fri 09-Jan-15 19:57:30

Doubt you will be able to lift a car seat 3 weeks post Cs. For that I would take someone with.

SoonToBeSix Fri 09-Jan-15 20:01:19

GotToBe all parents have the right to time of to care for dependants.

Pico2 Fri 09-Jan-15 20:04:06

I left DD with my mum when I had some medical appointments and an op at that stage, but she wasn't BF.

museumum Fri 09-Jan-15 20:05:54

I would take the baby's father with me. You can't carry a baby during a procedure and you might not be recovered from your section.

westcountrywoman Fri 09-Jan-15 20:06:52

I had an outpatient appointment to have a look at a cyst on my tonsil when DD was about 4 months old. I took her along in the car seat and it was just the two of us. Unexpectedly, the Dr decided to drain the cyst there and then and so I ended up having a small op. There were plenty of willing nurses to keep an eye on her (kind of in the same room behind a screen) and it was fine.
Presumably as you're having a c-section and won't yet be driving, some other adult will be taking you to the appointment anyway? Surely they can keep an eye on the baby?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 09-Jan-15 20:25:23

SoonToBe paid or unpaid?

PeppermintTeaForMe Fri 09-Jan-15 20:27:09

I'm 3 weeks post section now, and am absolutely fine to lift the car seat (onto the buggy - I wouldn't carry it through a hospital yet) and have been driving for a week (completely pain free).

I'd take someone along, my mum, or a friend (if DH/P not an option), who could push the baby round in the pram for however long you need. By 3 weeks though you should have a good idea of whether your baby is likely to just sleep though it, and whether if they don't they are likely to scream or just sit quietly. I wouldn't take my 3 week old, as suspect she would wake and scream. And no way would I have taken DC1 who would definitely have woken and screamed. But I'd have taken (and did take) DC2 anywhere, he was as good as gold).

Heels99 Fri 09-Jan-15 20:30:44

Peppermint tea the reason you need your doctor to say you are ok to drive is because of emergency stops, not because it hurts to drive!
If you doctor hasn't said you can, your insurance may not pay out if you have an accident.

PeppermintTeaForMe Fri 09-Jan-15 20:33:58

My insurers are completely disinterested. This is my third section, and they have never cared. After the first one I called them and they said I was fine to drive if my GP said I was fine. So I called my GP, who said I was fine to drive if I felt fine to drive (and didn't want to see me). Am 100% confident that I could do an emergency stop as normal, I'm not mobility impaired at all. Appreciate that all recoveries are different though, it took longer after my first section to feel completely fine.

Flomple Fri 09-Jan-15 21:04:17

Taking someone with you is the best solution. It doesn't matter what the done thing is, and you'd survive going alone, but if it's an option I'd line someone up to come along /drive.

You can always cancel them if you feel up to going it alone by then.

OrangesJuicyOranges Fri 09-Jan-15 21:16:51

Thank you all. I can walk to the clinic - it's not far from home. I'll see if someone can come with me to hold on to get while I'm being treated. My husband won't be able to get time off but my sister works shifts so she might be around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now