Talk

Advanced search

Crying baby

(10 Posts)
Jemima14 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:40:24

I'm finding my baby so difficult. She wants to be held ALL the time, if I put her down at all, she's screaming crying before her bum touches the cot/playmat. I am bf & I hold her most of the day, she's carried in a sling alot of the time, I cook, clean, eat with her carried but my back is breaking now & I'm just tired of this. I can only manage to leave the house if I'm super organised the night before, otherwise Im trying to get ready to go out with her screaming crying, which usually ends in me crying too, and then I don't end up going out. I've just had another hellish morning & I don't believe in 'cry it out', but I was just out of energy this morning & let her cry, coming back every 15 minutes to soothe her & then just had to walk away. I'm just so tired, I'm a lone parent & have very little help. She will only sleep during the day if she's held. I just feel like I'm cracking at this point, Im behind on everything & when I get a few minutes to myself where I could be doing something productive, I feel overwhelmed to actually do anything.

She has eczema, which takes alot of work, bathing every day, moisturising 3 times a day - she screams through most of it. I've cut out dairy from my diet which seems to be helping. She scratches alot & I can't get her nails cut because I have to wait until shes asleep & if I attempt to go near her hand she wakes up. Ive had her seen by a cranial osteopath incase she had some physical pain after a difficult birth - there was no difference. I always get her wind up & give dentinox if I think its that. If I think her teeth are at her I put bonjella.... i'm just OUT of ideas what more I can do.

Any advice?? Does this get easier??

EssexMummy123 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:44:07

Does she have reflux? e.g. spit up milk? Have you tried raising the end of her cot if she does. Other things I can think of are white noise/music ours was soothed by Eliza Dolittle! and pushing round in pram until she fell asleep.

If your back is sore then maybe the sling isn't the greatest? i carried mine in a sling until she was two and never had backache.

CoolCat2014 Fri 09-Jan-15 13:15:02

how old is she? As above poster asked, does she have reflux or silent reflux?

Have you tried white noise? that was like a miracle cure for my baby - I'd turn it on loud and she'd stop crying, then I slowly turned it down so it wasn't too loud. You can get an app for free on your phone.

FATEdestiny Fri 09-Jan-15 13:33:37

How old is she? This matters a lot on recommendation of how to help.

Does she sleep in the daytime? How is her feeding?

She might be hungry. She might be over tired.

Chickz Fri 09-Jan-15 14:34:10

OP it sounds really tough, especially as your on your own. Good suggestions on this board. Good work for using a sling. As others have said it would be good to know how old she is in case that gives any clues.

Jemima14 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:25:13

Thanks for replies & suggestions! My lo is almost 5 months. I don't think its reflux, she rarely spits up at all & I did try elevating her mattress slightly for a while to see if it helped.

She will only sleep in the daytime if shes held & cuddled - then she'll have a great sleep, if I attempt to put her down, she might stay for 5minutes then wake screaming. She'll play on her playmat sometimes, but mostly cries after 5 minutes, same with her bouncer, moses basket, cot etc....

Thats a good suggestion about the white noise - I had used that before & forgot about it!

I just feel defeated

FATEdestiny Fri 09-Jan-15 15:32:03

Have you tried a dummy?

Chickz Fri 09-Jan-15 18:58:31

You poor thing. Some babies just need and want to be held. Google dr sears high needs babies and see if any of those traits rings true.
Good luck.

Jemima14 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:30:23

She has been sucking her thumb so would never take a dummy - but got her baby one out tonight & she had a good suck on that for 10 mins! She's always refused it but I will try persevere with that.

I'm sure shes overtired some of the time & I'm not sure if she's hungry - she feeds what feels like all of the time - I do wonder if she doesn't get enough, but she's doubled her birth weight already & is a little chubby thing smile - I was wondering if I should start giving her some solids a bit early

The sling I'm using is a mei tai & I thought its been pretty comfortable but after an hour or two I can start to feel it!

I think I'm just having a down day with it all, I'm feeling sorry for myself & sorry for her that she is not a settled baby, she can't be feeling too happy sad

She definitely falls into the high need category!

Vilette Fri 09-Jan-15 22:00:54

For cutting the nails, my baby screamed blue murder until I worked out I could do it while she was breastfeeding smile. You need some time for you - can you get a friend or family member to come hold her while you have a bath/nap/break?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now