Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Toddler jet lag!

(14 Posts)
kiwibrit12 Fri 09-Jan-15 05:30:38

Hi there,

I've just returned home from 3 weeks in New Zealand visiting my husband's family. Despite my apprehension my 2yo travelled brilliantly, adjusted well and had the time of her life. Back home and we are day 4 of horrendous jet lag! She wants to wake for the day at 1/2am! Yesterday I didn't let her sleep all day and she went to bed at 6.30pm exhausted yet it has made no difference and she was raring to go at 2.20am!

Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks grin

TanteRose Fri 09-Jan-15 05:33:29

sorry, you just have to wait it out

will take roughly one day for every hour of time difference (NZ is 13 hours?)

so about 9 more days...flowers brew wine

<been there, done that...9 hour difference between UK and Far East>

TanteRose Fri 09-Jan-15 05:34:20

of course keep doing what you are doing - lots of outdoor play and fresh air during the day, and keep things muted at night

rootypig Fri 09-Jan-15 05:36:15

Yup, an hour a day. You can help things along by keeping lights low at night when she's awake, and getting her as much daylight (ha) and fresh air in the morning as you can. Avoid screens in the night too, as tempting as they are. see if you can persuade her into quiet activities like colouring and reading.

I would let her nap during the day, though not all day as she'd probably like! overtiredness is not your friend.

rootypig Fri 09-Jan-15 05:36:40

Cross post grin

We are on the west coast of the US....

JellyTipisthebest Fri 09-Jan-15 05:55:52

just wondering reading this which is generally worse uk-nz or nz-uk. Only done long haul once when we moved to nz 2 years ago. Our kids are older but will it be bad when we go for a visit to the uk. On the way here we had a 12 stopover in singapore. It didn't seem that bad but coming here.

When we visit the uk not really stopping have a short time in sidney and a plane change in Dubai. Does anyone have any tips.

SavoyCabbage Fri 09-Jan-15 05:56:10

I've tackled the jet lag thing differently the last two times. Two years ago we went with the flow and were up half the night for nearly two weeks.

This time it was term time so they we t to the swimming pool as soon as we got home (to keep them awake and wear them out!) and went to school the day after.

SavoyCabbage Fri 09-Jan-15 05:57:13

Go to the pool now, take her dinner and stay as long as you can. She'll be exhausted.

rootypig Fri 09-Jan-15 06:09:21

Jelly actually I find the jet lag is equal for young kids. What makes it easier for adults is being able to stay up when you're tired, or sleep in when you need to, and just sheer understanding of what is happening and night and day grin. All things young children seem to lack hmm

I think Savoy's type of approach can definitely work with older kids, as it would with adults. Get them to rest a fair amount while travelling, limit endless films and games that will frazzle their brains, and throw yourselves into (daytime) activities where possible.

Toddlers though, are a law unto themselves!

TanteRose Fri 09-Jan-15 06:13:34

yes, def. not just toddler age - up to primary school age even...

they just can't "keep themselves awake" like older children and adults can, it is just not physically possible.

Time is the only thing that works...

kiwibrit12 Fri 09-Jan-15 06:13:48

Jellytipisthebest - from what I've read it seems nz-uk is tougher. DD was fine on the way out, 2 days and she was sleeping all night. That being said it probably depends on time of year. We had family visiting in the UK summer and the kids seemed to be ok.

Thanks all, will keep active and spend the day outdoors! Feełs so cruel forcing her to stay awake when she's exhausted and trying to make her sleep when she's wide awake! blush

TanteRose Fri 09-Jan-15 06:14:35

also it is easier going East to West (so for us, going back to the UK from Japan was better, but coming home to Japan was horrendous...)

TanteRose Fri 09-Jan-15 06:15:19

oops, just told the opposite of what you read!

who knows??

kiwibrit12 Fri 09-Jan-15 06:17:09

Maybe it's just the return journey that is the worst?! Who knows?

Hadn't heard the one hour per day thing, 9 days to go then!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: