Talk

Advanced search

Your experiences of baby groups?

(20 Posts)
moomin35 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:15:01

Wondered what kind of experiences you had at baby groups? Not NCT but after baby...

footallsock Wed 07-Jan-15 20:29:09

Highly recommend any at local sure start centres. Loads of lovely church ones near me too - open to anyone

Dailylurker Wed 07-Jan-15 20:31:47

I go with my 13 month old to a fabulous church play group, everyone is incredibly friendly and we even had a Christmas mums night out which was fun.

I guess it just depends on the mix of people that go, we have people from all walks of life and it works well

HerewardTheTired Wed 07-Jan-15 20:32:42

Some lovely, some cliquey and horrid, some just a bit rubbish. I had to shop around until I found one I felt comfortable in.

NickyEds Wed 07-Jan-15 20:37:28

Really enjoy them, especially at the Sure Start centre. I've also liked classes (that sometimes get a bit of a pasting on mn) like baby massage, baby yoga and signing. I've met some lovely new friends and it gets you out of the house.

Queazy Wed 07-Jan-15 20:38:14

I too had to shop around. I found some groups really warm, whilst others were quite intimidating with some quite unfriendly mums. On the whole though, they were a lifeline!

Eminybob Wed 07-Jan-15 20:42:58

I do a few different activities with DS with varying degrees of enjoyment.

I go to a play group which is nice but really it's just a chat with mums I met on our postnatal course while the babies play.

I do baby sensory which DS loves but I hate as its really cliquey and no one talks to me (saying that I did have a breakthrough this week and had a chat with another mum)

And swimming classes which both me and DS really enjoy. Made some really lovely friends.

We've been doing these since DS was about 10 weeks old, he's 6 months now. I'm going to get rid of sensory after this term and switch to rhythm time instead.

applecatchers36 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:43:56

Loved them, baby massage, breast feeding group, baby yoga, baby swim, music, stay n play. Most were free at children's centre, so made local friends. Got me out of the house, things to do, baby enjoyed, adult conversation, made days / weeks go quicker, it's hard being on your own with a baby found them extremely helpful...

Lovelise Wed 07-Jan-15 21:41:57

I was a bit wary at first but we have made some lovely friends.

I just wade in and start talking to people. You've all got something in common...babies!

ReallyBadParty Wed 07-Jan-15 21:45:18

I really enjoyed them. I started going really because our house was so cold but met some nice people and it was quite reassuring.

BiancaDelRio Wed 07-Jan-15 21:48:56

Hated them. Tried loads of different ones with DD but found them awkward and cliquey. I gave up in the end.

She's 6 now and is the most outgoing and sociable kid ever so I don't think she's suffered.

DS is 5 months and we haven't been to any and probably won't.

Squeakyheart Wed 07-Jan-15 21:54:24

Sure start did a parenting group that you all start at the same time and that was great as no cliques. Tried a couple and found one I really enjoy run by sure start but ongoing, it's my last week next week as mat leave up but have made friends that I will stay in touch with after.

karigan Wed 07-Jan-15 23:06:57

Ive been going to them.since my DD was about 6 weeks old. I just appreciate the chance to chat to other adults for an hour or so in the morning, plus I deliberately dont take the car so I get a structured 'out in the fresh air' bit into most days.

Plus baby massage was a lifeline when she was colicky- taught me how to help give her a bit of relief.

MiaowTheCat Thu 08-Jan-15 11:25:19

Sure start ones here were as clique ridden and nasty as they came - they would sit in a circle with their backs to you if they didn't like you. Toddler versions of them are much better.

Millionprammiles Thu 08-Jan-15 11:53:05

Lovely. Saved what might otherwise have been a boring, isolated maternity leave.
Mix up the general sure start/children centre playgroups with the 'class' type ones (though many of the latter charge). Look out for ones that still run during school hols. Also look at cafes with soft play areas for babies.

I never found them cliquey or anyone unfriendly. I still bump into people now who remember me from 2 yrs ago and stop to say hi.

confusedandemployed Thu 08-Jan-15 18:17:51

Really enjoyed most of them, all except the breastfeeding group which I found sniffy, snobbish and downright unfriendly. I just wanted tips on feeding my baby, not to bitch about bottle feeders. hmm

KitKat1985 Thu 08-Jan-15 20:01:27

Hey. My DD is nearly 4 months. I've been to a few groups. 1 group was really friendly, 1 was quite cliquey and 1 was a music / singing group which was more focused on doing singing etc than talking (which can be easier in some ways, as there is only so much baby small talk you can make). I've definitely met some nice people and it's good to get out of the house but the inevitable incessant baby-talk get a bit boring to be honest Once DD is a bit older I'm planning on doing swimming. xx

BikeRunSki Thu 08-Jan-15 20:08:37

Loved them. Gave me structure to my days. Made some super friends.

JaniceJoplin Thu 08-Jan-15 20:10:20

Wait until you get to toddler groups. I took DC2 age 22months to one recently, feeling brave. The venue (church hall) decided to remove all bins to 'encourage' all the mums to take their used nappies home with them. For those of you who have young babies, you may not appreciate how bad a toddlers poop can be - it is same almost in texture, size and smell as an adults. Anyway, my DC2 needed to go at this toddler group, so I had to pack up the dirty nappy and place in my nice leather handbag (having discarded the Cath Kidston nappy bag once DC was about 12 months). Just think I was walking around with an actual turd in my bag for about 45 minutes. My handbag and I have yet to recover from this incident and I have not returned.

Reekypear Thu 08-Jan-15 20:13:15

Coven is too good a word for some of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now