Talk

Advanced search

So when do the naps start to last longer than 45 mins?

(23 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 07-Jan-15 11:12:37

I understand the sleep cycles and DS seems to sleep 45min naps to the second grin but his lunchtime one needs to be longer. When he wakes from his morning and afternoon (x2) naps he is all smiley and happy, but the lunchtime one (usually 1-1.45) he is just grumpy and restless til his next sleep (about 3pm).

Millionprammiles Wed 07-Jan-15 11:48:48

Some babies start to improve once crawling/weaned. But some never do (mine didn't). I just tried for 3 x 40 min naps a day, often pushing the pram and felt insanely jealous of mums having leisurely 2 hour breaks wink

From about 6 months or so you could try cutting the morning nap and trying for an earlier afternoon nap to see if that makes any difference. Only really feasible with a late-ish riser. Never worked with mine.

Dd (now 2.5) only started to nap for longer from about 14 months or so (once she'd dropped her morning nap) and cause she was shattered from nursery. She still woke up after 40 mins but just opened her eyes, looked around, popped her dummy back in and went back to sleep.

Try not to stress about it, before you know it you'll be trying to cut down their naps...

Riri85 Wed 07-Jan-15 11:55:23

Who knows? All babies are different-how old is your LO? Mine is 14 weeks and the only way can get her to nap is by taking her out in the pram-then she can sleep for up to a couple of hours but if try to put her down in her cot she just screams and refuses to sleep! It sounds like you have got a good routine going though!smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 07-Jan-15 11:58:54

Im trying to remember back to dd (now three and a staunch non napper) but Im finding it hard to remember.

Currently he wakes at 8.30 (having woke for a sleepy feed at 6 and 1 prior), then naps 10.15-11, 12.45-1.30 grizzles til 3-3.45 and then 6.15-7, then is awake til 9, feed and down.

seaoflove Wed 07-Jan-15 12:00:41

For me it was when DD went from two naps to one. She could easily sleep for 2-3 hours then.

Riri85 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:05:14

3 hours seems like a good amount of time for your LO to be sleeping to me and 45 minutes is a good stretch for you to relax/catch up on chores etc-do you get out of the house much if LO is taking these regular naps or are you stuck in? If you are in perhaps it would be a good idea to get out after that lunchtime nap to keep LO entertained? The amount of time he naps for may improve over time but who knows when!

Riri85 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:07:18

^ mean 3 hours through the course of the day!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 07-Jan-15 12:11:31

Oops sorry he is eleven weeks. We pick dd up from nursery at half three so I have to be out already with him napping to get there.

daluze Wed 07-Jan-15 13:27:47

11 months for my DS. Now at 2 years he can easily nap 2-3 hours... Never thought it will ever happen, and up to 11 months he only napped for 20 min at a time!

GiantGaspingSatanicCyst Wed 07-Jan-15 13:31:22

With both of mine, it was after they started walking at 13mo.

The grotty, overtired baby grizzle is hard work. He sounds like he's found a reasonable routine though smile

0ddsocks Wed 07-Jan-15 15:30:00

I think somewhere around 6 months my son was able to transition from one 45 min sleep cycle to another without waking. Until then I could set a clock to his staunch "45
Minute only" naps

Sunbeam18 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:49:45

Only got nap sorted with DS when he went down to one nap, probably about 11 months. Before that it felt like the whole day was spent trying to get him to nap or feeling worried about it not happening. He only naps in the car even now (18 months) but he sleeps for at least an hour, often 90 mins. I just drive until he falls asleep, then park and eat my lunch and read. Life felt very chaotic before he started doing this so I feel for you

SingingBear Wed 07-Jan-15 21:58:11

Around 7 months for my eldest, when she started crawling. Until then it was 5 x 45 minutes and no chance of putting her back down. Once crawling and then walking the lunchtime one became a couple of hours at least and stayed that way for a few years!

Iggly Wed 07-Jan-15 22:00:38

Not until 5/6 months. If they were in the sling they'd easily sleep longer when younger though.

mary81 Wed 07-Jan-15 22:04:55

For me it was the six months mark. Until then it was 45 mins to the second...I could set the clock by her! She seemed to adjust by herself though and now at almost eight months has two 90 minute naps a day smile

sleepingdragon Wed 07-Jan-15 22:08:29

My DS would usually feed a bit and then go back to sleep when I napped with him from that age - its a great excuse for a daytime nap but probably not possible if you have an older DD! What I sometimes try to do is pre-empt him waking and be there ready to feed him back to sleep after about 45mins after he falls asleep. It might be worth a try if that's possible for you?

BMO Wed 07-Jan-15 22:09:50

DC1 about 7 months and DC2 about 4/5 months.

Misty9 Thu 08-Jan-15 12:55:26

Mine was a staunch 45 minutes napper with feeds every two hours. The latter until ten months, the former I'm afraid until two years. ..! He'll now sleep over an hour at three years, but we don't let him nap anymore.

His sister is going for the 'who needs sleep?' approach so far at nnearly 9 months, so it could be worse!

CarrotPuff Thu 08-Jan-15 13:03:09

My DS was a shocking napper/sleeper until about 6 months. He then started doing longer naps and a month later sleeping better at night.

mrsmugoo Thu 08-Jan-15 16:03:46

My 45 min catnapper started sleeping longer at 6 months. Usually 1:15. This was also when we dropped to two naps.

Now at 10 months I have to wake him from at least 50% of naps!

slightlyconfused85 Thu 08-Jan-15 21:33:01

Mine wasa chronic 45 minute napper. Around 8 months she suddenly started sleeping 2 x 1.5 hour naps with three hours Inbetween, she just did it. This lasted until the morning nap went at about 14 months then lunchtime nap was 2 hours roughly. Now she's 2.2 and barely naps at all, I miss it !

Babytalkobsession Fri 09-Jan-15 21:05:47

12 months for us, once he started nursery and dropped to 1 nap a day. That nap is still often only 45-90 mins at nursery but usually 2 hrs on his home days. He catches up at night though and has lately been sleeping 7-8 grin I never thought we'd get there - naps were my nemesis.

My advice is go with it. You can't make them sleep

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 09-Jan-15 23:31:15

Thanks everyone! Its probably a good thing as it stops me napping too as 45mins is nowhere near enough time for a proper nap.

He slept 9pm til 9am this morning waking once at 6am!! For a feed. Couldnt beleive my luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now