Talk

Advanced search

hate bathing my 19month old daughter

(20 Posts)
Mummywithlove Tue 06-Jan-15 13:58:54

my daughter just screams and crys until shes sick when i try to bath hersad i dont no why she wont bath even tho she will sit in a swimming pool! i need help trying to get her to like them! i put toys in the bath, i play with her in the bath, i sing to her, ive tried everything but nothing works! i no ur all gonna say bath her in the pool but i got no room to bring it in the house , i really do hate bathing her! i have to try to bath her pretty much every other day as shes a smelly kid lol my hubbies bathed her and she still screams, i feel like not bathing her at all! can anyone else help me! i really cant cope with her, she used to love a bath when she was little sad sad Has anyone else got a child that hates bath if so how do u bath them without them throwing up and screaming
many thanks xx

a2011x Tue 06-Jan-15 14:10:41

Yes mine was like this and you've tried everything I would of suggested. I changed them to short and sweet and had five minutes of screaming instead. In the end she get over it because she knew it was happening regardless. Now she loves it. get in with her ????

Ineedacleaningfairy Tue 06-Jan-15 14:13:37

Have you tried having a bath with her? Make it nice and warm and maybe light some candles and have the lights off so it's a whole new experience for her.

WerewolfBarMitzvah Tue 06-Jan-15 14:16:29

Oh that sounds tough. Would she play in an empty bath? Or does she get upset just being in the bathroom?
Would she tolerate a shower? Or playing with the shower attachment?
She will probably grow out of it but it's so hard for you now.

bettyboop1970 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:18:30

Has something happened to her in the bath? She may be scared. Can you shower her instead? Let her watch you have a bath and play with her bath toys having fun. I know that sounds weird but children are influenced by adult role models.

marne2 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:23:56

My dd was like this sad, we cracked it by filling the bath with balls ( ball pit balls ), on top of the water so she couldn't see it, she thought it was great fun, took a while after that for her to let us wash her hair without screaming. She's now almost 11 years old and still isn't keen on the bath, I have to nag her to get her in.

wheresthelight Tue 06-Jan-15 18:00:17

try taking her in the shower instead? my dd goes through times where she hates the bath but she loves being in the shower with me. although this week she loves her bath and hates the shower

hoppus Tue 06-Jan-15 18:07:56

Is it warm enough, enough water? Try getting in with her?

I dont have any advice really as my DD loves her baths, but things she enjoys are LOTS of bubbles and some bowls to scoop them with. Also a bubble wand is popular. At the moment we have foam polkadots, bought a pack of foam sheets from the craft section in poundland, cut out polkadots and once they are wet they stick to the bath and walls, float in the water too. Makes the bath look really cool.

Mummywithlove Wed 07-Jan-15 12:03:25

Nothings ever happend to her in a bath before, thats why i cant under stand y she doenst like them anymore, she even cries when i get i the bath with her, even when her brothers in there will a shit loads of toys, she screams when she get into the shower she holds her breathe, and then takes a breathe and then screams, i have put balls into the bath and ive put her fav dolly in the bath, ive even gave her the doll before i put her into the bath for her to wash,but as soon as she sees the bath empty or full she screams sad i dont no what to do, my friend said to leave her init screaming and she thinks she will just stop crying ! but i dont want to just leave her init cuz thats evil of me lol thanks for the replies any more help lol xx grin

marne2 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:52:04

Could it be that she doesn't like having no clothes on? As you said she is ok when you go swimming, maybe try her with a swimming costume on?

WerewolfBarMitzvah Wed 07-Jan-15 15:01:14

I wouldn't let her sit in it and scream either. Does she like playing with a basin of water? Could you maybe just wash her with a basin in the kitchen and gradually work up to the bath?

hoppus Wed 07-Jan-15 16:18:55

Would she fit in a baby bath in the bathroom, treat it like a pool? Is she ok with washing her hands in the sink?

3littlefrogs Wed 07-Jan-15 16:20:18

Don't bath her. Just do a strip wash.
It is a phase.

Mummywithlove Wed 07-Jan-15 19:43:58

she wouldnt fit in a kitchen sink shes too long lol, i will try a baby bath tomorrow if fails then god knows lol, i havent actually tried her with a cozy on umm. ... will defo give that a try but then again how will i clean her foof foof xx grin

Mummywithlove Thu 08-Jan-15 16:49:38

well i tried bathing her again with a cozzy on and no luck still screamed sad i bought a little pool from argos today and blew it up she played init without water but as soon as i put water in she screamed,! i am Not bathing her again, i cannot cope !!! so she will have to stay smelly lol x

marne2 Thu 08-Jan-15 17:32:48

Wet wipes are handy things wink, I went months without bathing dd1, I was fed up with seeing her shake with fear and scream so load she was sick, you can wash a child without giving them a bath if you have too.

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Jan-15 19:02:48

Did you read my post, OP?
This is a very common phase at this age.

slushie Thu 08-Jan-15 19:07:10

Dd2 has always hated the bath she's 18months and for the last 4 or so months I've usedthe shower. Stand her in the bath, shower on half speed and bring the shower head close to her. I let her feel the water first then get her feet wet. Then I do a shower as quick as possible, sometimes she cries but not always and it isn't the battle it used to be.

ImBrian Thu 08-Jan-15 19:09:13

This happened with my dd when she was about 3 after she had a slight slip in the bath. We used to just put a tiny bit of water in the bottom and let her stand up while we gave her a wash. Over time she got her confidence back. Took years to get to be able to wash her hair/go in a pool.

Mummywithlove Thu 08-Jan-15 22:17:46

sorry for not replying 3littlefrogs, i think i have just sussed it grin her 3year old brother was playing in the swimming pool in the bath room with water in splashing about and my daughter fell in by accident and she sat in the pool playing grin didnt cry once, its very very weird cuz she would get in the bath with her bro or on her own she wouldnt goin the pool on her own but will with her bro hmm hmm hmm very strange but hay i got her clean lol xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now